[HOT] QGIS and OSM and..

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Sun May 10 03:12:08 UTC 2015

John,
I use QGIS regularly. Personally I believe the OSM editors, iD, Potlatch,
and JOSM are better suited for editing data. Someone I know is very
comfortable with QGIS tried using it as an OSM editor. I don't think he
succeeded. As a tool for working with OSM data to give to others QGIS can't
be beat. Extract the information using overpass, load it into QGIS and you
can easily produce customized maps for your audience.

Clifford

On Sat, May 9, 2015 at 7:26 PM, john o'l <ol.john.el at gmail.com> wrote:

> Alas, the simple options that appeared to allow QGIS to make direct OSM
> uploads seem to have disappeared with updates over the past few years and I
> lack the technical chops to code an appropriate tool.
>
> QGIS seems to prefer creating shape (SHP) files, and I found that copying
> and pasting an attribute table will create a text file (I believe tab
> delimited) of the format:
> POLYGON((longitude<space>latitude,longitude<space>latitude,...etc)) then
> attributes/tags. First question is whether anyone has or knows of an easy
> conversion/upload tool to get this data into OSM? The closest I found still
> would have had me manipulating python or XML -- I am sure no sensible
> people really want me to go down that road.
>
> Getting to know QGIS has been a treat, by the way. It is great at
> extracting data from OSM and the imagery services associated with it. For
> folks having trouble with the free form nature of OSM, it allows sifting
> and structuring the data in a way that may be quite pleasing.  I can't help
> but think Spring Harrison might enjoy extracting all the helicopter landing
> pads and leisure=common in earthquake hit areas and give them a thorough
> review, producing a shape or text file of his recommended choices.
>
> It seems data generated by osm users contained within Google's kmls would
> be available as long as it was extracted? Surely putting something in an
> envelope doesn't render it the property of the envelope manufacturer...
>
> Anyway, any help or non-coding recommendations would be appreciated!
>
> Cheers,
>
> John

@osm_seattle
osm_seattle.snowandsnow.us