[HOT] QGIS and OSM and..

Pat Tressel ptressel at myuw.net
Sun May 10 05:00:50 UTC 2015

John --

Well, I've come to believe you are right, the other editors are better
> suited for editing data into OSM. I'd probably be using JOSM already if I
> hadn't run into "the memory issue" that I'm still not sure I've corrected,

Apologies -- this is OT for this topic, so just slipping it in...  I've had
to give JOSM roughly 1.5GB of heap space, else it would run out of memory
when I used user-defined imagery.  The java option for that is -Xmx1500M.
As an example (which will be different on other machines) the full command
I use is:

C:\Programs\Java\jdk1.8.0_45\jre\bin\javaw.exe -jar -Xmx1500M
C:\Programs86\JOSM\josm-tested.jar

On Linux / Unix, the command would be something like

javaw -jar -Xmx1500M /usr/local/bin/josm-tested.jar

(with /usr/local/bin replaced by the actual path of josm-tested.jar).

If there's use in continuing a discussion of java memory options for JOSM,
we should take it to a separate thread.

-- Pat