[HOT] LearnOSM statistics May 2015

Mhairi O'Hara mhairi.ohara at hotosm.org
Sun May 10 11:42:07 UTC 2015

Hey Nick,

Just to let you know that we have an Outreachy student successfully
selected for the 'Improve LearnOSM content and organisation' project. I
will send out a formal e-mail to the HOT mailing list tomorrow to introduce
them all to the community.

Althio is mentoring Anwar, but I believe he can still only co-mentor, so it
would be great if perhaps you could provide some guidance based on your
comments above and what you envision would be the best steps to improving
the content structure.

Kind regards,

Mhairi

On Sun, May 10, 2015 at 9:09 AM, Nick Allen <nick.allen.54 at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> Whilst discussing the best way forward with training, the statistics from
> this page may be of interest:
>

> http://piwik.hotosm.org/index.php?module=CoreHome&action=index&idSite=3&period=month&date=2015-05-01#/module=Actions&action=menuGetPageUrls&idSite=3&period=month&date=2015-05-01
>
> You'll have noticed the 10,121 visitors so far this month.
>
> LearnOSM is not perfect, in fact far from it. It does provide a central
> link which is 'owned' by HOT, and when training guides, video's,
> screencasts, etc.. are being produced, can I suggest you consider visiting
> https://github.com/hotosm/learnosm, and submitting a pull request or an
> issue, so that we can link to the new guide.
>
> As several people have commented - there's no shortage of sites with
> guides how to get started. In my opinion, the problem is more to do with
> filtering them, so that you only get the newest & best. It is very
> difficult to tell what is maintained, what is not, and whether the advice
> is correct or not. Personally I will try to go back to the wiki articles I
> have been involved in during the past few years and updating them - I'm
> pretty well constantly updating, reviewing and adding to LearnOSM - any
> help appreciated!
>
> Let's not throw away that which is good, but instead try to build from
> it.
>
> When we discuss ways forward, funding and grants, please remember that
> everything requires the attention of the Tech team. I'm not a member and
> have no connections with them, but I do know that if we don't support them
> in whatever they need to make these thoughts actually happen, then it is
> just so much hot air.
>
> Regards & please keep mapping - we need you all!
> --
>
> Nick
>
> Volunteer 'Tallguy' for
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Team