[HOT] QGIS and OSM and..

Phil (The Geek) Wyatt phil at wyatt-family.com
Mon May 11 06:42:40 UTC 2015

From: Springfield Harrison [mailto:stellargps at gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, 11 May 2015 3:43 PM
To: Michael; 'HOT'
Subject: Re: [HOT] QGIS and OSM and..

Hello Michael,

Thanks for your reply.

So you are confirming that downloading OSM data through JSOM is a waste of
time?  I wish I had known this earlier.  I was advised that it would
download all of Nepal but that doesn't seem to be the case.

JOSM is really just an editor for doing small area changes to OSM data - its
not designed for country editing. QGIS however, can download any area in the
world (subject to your bandwidth and hard disc size)

I tried the open street map data link that you provided.  It shows some
promise but I haven't looked at the data yet.  [Just looked at some of those
shapefiles, they do load and display in QGIS.  However, when I tried to
change the symbology for the helipads, they all disappeared.  WTF?]

OK - thats likely a QGIS issue - nothing to do with OSM

I also stumbled upon the HOT Export site.  It is very convoluted but also
shows promise once one figures out the myriad of options.  Creating presets
would be helped enormously if there were drop-down lists for the keys and
their values.  My last attempt here failed, probably due to bad
capitalization or some such.  It looks like a dog's breakfast.

Now I see your reference to Overpass Turbo, hopefully not another blind
alley.  Simply downloading data in OSM is anything but streamlined.  The
key/value concept seems to complicate things considerably.  What is the
benefit of that system?

I have fired up Overpass Turbo.  Used the wizard to create and run a query
but the export options only offers some less than useful choices.  GPX and
KML files are of limited use in a GIS and I don't recognize any of the other
files.  The geojson file was only recognized by QGIS but it would not
display.

Make sure JOSN is running (with remote control turned on) and then use the
Overpass turbo export "load data into an OSM editor:
<http://overpass-turbo.eu/> JOSM,Level0". Then in JOSN you can edit away as
required

Then I tried the KML and GPX files.  I'm QGIS the KML file was listed but
not accepted for viewing; the GPX layers were accepted but would not
display.  In JSON the KML file was not recognized and GPX file would not
display.

Most of this sounds like QGIS issues/familiarity not OSM issues.

If I recall correctly, the option to send the query results directly to JSON
failed also.

This is a huge amount of trial and error with very little, almost nothing,
to show for two late nights.  I appreciate everyone's attempt to help, and
have read many wiki pages but she's all uphill.

My intention is very simple  -

.         download a shapefile of the Nepal task tiles

.         download a shapefile of the potential and actual helipads [this
might have been achieved with the Hot Export, the many attempts are all
blurring together now]

.         possibly download a shapefile of other features

The question here is "what do you want to do with the data after you have
it?" We can suggest the best tools if we know what the whole job actually
is. I have sent you a KML file of Leisure=common sites (around 1400
potential helipad sites) that you could use in Google Earth (as you
previously mentioned that it would help you define better landing sites).  I
have also suggested how you can then edit them again via OSM.

There is not a quick process to take masses of data out of OSM, edit it
offline, and then reimport it with validation ...especially whilst there are
so many folks editing during an activation.

If someone can outline a GUARANTEED process to achieve that I would be most
appreciative.  In most GIS environments, these are everyday activities
accomplished with a few mouse clicks.  In many years, I don't think I have
ever seen such a complex mishmash of GIS tools.

Yep, each set of tools and software have their uses, foibles and learning
curve - personally I use Mapinfo, QGIS, FME, OSM, JOSM Editor, ID Editor,
Google Earth, Oziexplorer, Mapsource, Basecamp and occasionally even ESRI
products (even Manifold years ago!). Sometimes a combination of tools gives
the best result.

        Thanks very much, Cheers . . . . . . . . Spring Harrison