[HOT] Welcome to HOT - Help us build with Working Groups

Russell Deffner russell.deffner at hotosm.org
Mon May 11 13:59:18 UTC 2015

Hi everyone!

We are so incredibly humbled by all the participation of new and existing
HOT community members. HOT is organized by Working Groups to help grow and
sustain all the efforts. We would like to encourage you to join these
meetings to turn feedback and ideas into action. There is room for everyone
with all types of skills and definitely many things to do.

NOTE: there are two Working Group meetings today - Technical and Training

How to join: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/IRC

Direct link: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.oftc.net/hot

TODAY: Technical WG:

Meetings: IRC Second Monday 1700 UTC

Contact: Dra┼żen

TODAY: Training WG:

Meetings: IRC Every other Monday 1800 UTC

Contact: training at hotosm

Activation WG:

Meetings: IRC Every Tuesday 1400 UTC

Contact: activation at hotosm

Communications WG:

Meetings: Skype Every other Friday 2000 UTC

Contact: communications at hotosm

Community WG:

Next meeting - to be scheduled in the next 2 weeks with Heather and Tyler.
Stay tuned.

As well we are seeking helpers for other working groups:  Governance,
Fundraising, and Security. If you are interested in joining  the groups,
please add your name to the wiki so that we can plan . If you would like to
help lead, please do contact Russell or Heather.

*************

Learn more about all the HOT Global Community:

HOT has many diverse community roles and ways to contribute to our mission.
In a Community Sprint <https://hackpad.com/HOT-Community-Sprint-PT9LYvG5aDn>
, we designed the following types. The working groups aim to be inclusive of
all community contributors:

.        Connectors/Teachers

o   Training and mentorship program to cross-train new leaders with the goal
to have more leaders and less burnout

o   This role includes storytellers and communicators.

o   Outreach to share the OSM educational web site LearnOSM
(www.learnosm.org) and to show the community how to get involved in HOT

o   Clean up general communication on the wiki and web sites to provide a
clear path for those who want to get involved

o   Develop target communities for outreach

.        Mappers

o   Participate in, and help coordinate,  mapping activities.

o   Reach  out to friends of OSM who might help with surge support in
various  areas (e.g. Mozilla, hubs, etc., as well as links with
connectors/teachers regarding leaders).

o   Maintain a wider OSM outreach plan (coordinated with respect) to get
active mappers more involved with HOT.

o   Identify new communities for outreach.

.        Partners/Mission Supporters

o   Develop  a policy and guidance on how to establish mutual  communication
with  partners, a W3 ( who does what when)there are some  items in
membership  code of conduct.

o   This group includes researchers and liaisons.

.        Techies

o   Identify a process to get developers involved in the Tech Working Group
(more outreach, clear tasks).

o   Develop and Promote technical tools.

o   Maintain and support existing tools.

.        Business of Mapping

o   Talking points for the membership to use with partners and potential
funders.

o   Expand outreach strategy to get partners and potential supporters
involved with HOT.

Thanks so much,

Russell and Heather

Russell Deffner