[HOT] Missing Maps #993 (Unity State, South Sudan): Concern about primary road (Wun_Chuei-Boyapak)

Michael ohrosm at gmail.com
Thu May 14 08:55:46 UTC 2015

Hi Martin,

Am 14.05.2015 um 00:57 schrieb m902:
> Is there anyone (perhaps from MSF) with local knowledge of the road
> network in Unity State?

Let me start with a disclaimer: I do not have any local knowledge. But I
had similar experiences before so curiousity made me look at it.

> In many places I can't see any evidence for it on the ground (on either
> Bing or Mapbox imagery), and even where I can see something it looks
> more like a track than a primary highway. In places, tracks have been
> entered close to the line of this primary road. Possibly these are the
> actual road.

I fully agree that there is no road the currently mapped highway. There
are some tracks visible in the surroundings but I could not really
figure out if cover the entire length of the supposed primary road.

But according to https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Highway_Tag_Africa
I think those tracks are not highway=track but at least unclassified.

> This primary road was originally entered in 2008 with a given source of
> UN JLC, so perhaps it was copied from a map such as the one I referred
> to above.

I also found some maps from UN JLC
http://reliefweb.int/sites/reliefweb.int/files/resources/662F95C319F4C05085257662007DF204-map.pdf
This map shows this road as "open for: unknown" and usability in the dry
season only. So it actually might not be that visible.

Also I am not sure about the license of those UN maps. I think they can
not be used as a source unless there is some specific permission for
special cases.

> Keen to get this right. Should I delete what is there if there is no
> evidence on the ground? Even though it appears that such a road does exist.

Personally I would not delete it but rather try to add a fixme. Adding
"surface=unpaved" might also be a good idea.

But I would also be interested to know other opinions on this.

Cheers,
Michael