[HOT] Missing Maps #993 (Unity State, South Sudan): Concern about primary road (Wun_Chuei-Boyapak)

m902 m902.osm at gmail.com
Wed May 13 22:57:22 UTC 2015

Hi,

Is there anyone (perhaps from MSF) with local knowledge of the road
network in Unity State?
Can you take a look at
http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/22259826#map=13/8.3387/30.0187 which
shows the primary road.
In many places I can't see any evidence for it on the ground (on either
Bing or Mapbox imagery), and even where I can see something it looks
more like a track than a primary highway. In places, tracks have been
entered close to the line of this primary road. Possibly these are the
actual road.

I found a map of Unity State at
http://reliefweb.int/sites/reliefweb.int/files/resources/map_2691.pdf
which shows a major road heading west from Leer, but also shows Boyapak
to be north of Leer. (Neither Boyapak nor Wun Chuei appear on OSM).

This primary road was originally entered in 2008 with a given source of
UN JLC, so perhaps it was copied from a map such as the one I referred
to above.

Keen to get this right. Should I delete what is there if there is no
evidence on the ground? Even though it appears that such a road does exist.

Any advice as to how to proceed?

Thanks
Martin