[HOT] landslides

john o'l ol.john.el at gmail.com
Thu May 14 14:35:18 UTC 2015

>Hi all,
>I am looking for landslide inventory for the recent earthquake event. Can
someone help with suitable pointers.
>I appreciate the time and efforts invested by the entire team!

Hello Rubini,

I'm starting to collect pointers to aid in landslide hazard mapping and
many of the recent inventories appear to be works in progress.  I believe
most of these have been mentioned elswhere in this maillist but I haven't
checked all the licensing info on them, in any case, they appear to be good
places to start:

Earthquakes Without Frontiers have a blog http://ewf.nerc.ac.uk/blog/
that provides updated information and landslide maps, they highlight
concern over the status of the Sun Koshi landslide dam in their May 12th
post:
http://ewf.nerc.ac.uk/2015/05/12/nepal-update-on-landslide-hazard-following-12-may-2015-earthquake/

The Humanitarian Data Exchange provides a page with downloadable landslide
data https://data.hdx.rwlabs.org/dataset/lands  and one with more resources
(I haven't gone through many of these yet):
https://data.hdx.rwlabs.org/group/nepal-earthquake

I'm not sure if one of these is regularly more current than the other, but
University of Michigan has a couple of pages that provide some useful
visualizations including Landslide Dam Hazard Analysis:
https://sites.google.com/a/umich.edu/nepalearthquake/landslide-maps
https://sites.google.com/a/umich.edu/nepalearthquake/downloads

The AGU Landslide blog may provide useful pointers
http://blogs.agu.org/landslideblog/ such as http://www.icimod.org/?q=17851
their links page looks very good.  I believe this is one of them
http://emergency.copernicus.eu/mapping/list-of-components/EMSR125

Another resource:
https://www.disasterscharter.org/web/guest/activations/-/article/landslide-in-nep-2
I imagine some of these overlap and share data, but I don't have a feel yet
for all the ins and outs.

--> If you are aware of or come across any additional resources please pass
them along, even if they seem out of date... an older inventory would be
very useful for comparison and could help us determine additional areas
that may be particularly susceptible to reactivation.

Cheers,

John