[HOT] OSM Nepal Reponse - Links to various infos

Pierre Béland pierzenh at yahoo.fr
Fri May 15 16:44:01 UTC 2015

This OSM response for Nepal is quite challenging. And even more difficult for our friends at the Kathmandu Living Labs (KLL) who have to suffer the emotional impact of the second earthquake this week. They also have to move from the famous Yellow house to a school. This should assure them a more secure area to work.Cheers to them that maintain the Nepal earthquake Ushahidi map, provide various mapping services to the humanitarian in the field and assure the interface with the Nepal governement and the various UN Coordination structures for this response (ie The clusters to coordinate sanitation, water, logistic, food distribution, health, etc).
As usual, the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap community assures the interface between the OSM community, the UN agencies and the international organizations. We support the OSM remote response from around the word and we co-coordinate with KLL. We both interface with the DHNetwork digital organization and various other groups via Skype. We have a great support from the International Charter (imagery providers), UNOSAT, DigitalGlobe, Airbus, the HIU unit of the US State dept., Google, and our dedicated OSM/HOT experienced contributors and developpers.
Plus the various groups that provide the 30 minutes updates for the various OSM exports.http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/2015_Nepal_earthquake#Map_and_Data_Services
 Still more challenges to come with the landslides risks and the monsoon coming soon.
At the same time, it is important to assure a good coordination of the OSM community from around the world. The statistics below show great numbers and some challenges with all the new contributors that participate to the response. Note that these are preliminary statistics that can be revised later. With less then 3 weeks of response, we already have edited more the 13 million of objects.

The pbf export file increased from 27 megs april 24 to 84 megs yesterday. Three times bigger. This is quite awesome. It also shows how we should adapt to such a rapid growth of the OSM database for Nepal and maintain quality to adequately respond to the operational needs of the humanitarian organizations in the field.

| Preliminary statistics, Nepal Response Apr-25 – May 15, including worldwide mechanical edits |         NB

| Contributors | 6,456 |
| Days | 11,877 |
| Changeset Sessions | 154,048 |
| Objects edited (ie. Points, lines, polygons) | 13,089,247 |

Such a response has brought various discussions on the HOT list on how to both respond quickly and assure data quality. OSM crowdsourcing can be compared to an image that we load throug internet. First, we have a quite inprecise image, coming clearer gradually.  The Mapathons a bit of this role. If unorganized, they can bring a lot of data quality problems. The worlwide OSM community  can play a strategic role in such a response by contributing to structure the way the new contributors learn OSM and edit the map. For the first day of contribution, what is important is that people better understand what are the various steps and provide quality data. If we succeed to bring them a second day to help, this will show quite a significant succcess since the majority of them contribute only one day for the response.

There will be surely Lessons learned from this Response. For now, I suggest that people that organize Mapathons communicate with activation @ hotosm.org and provide some infos about the Mapathon- who Organize this mapathon- town, country
- Name, email of organizers- how many experienced osm contributors to support the mapathon
- Nb of people that you plan to receive
- twitter account if you plan to publish updates- indicate that you give HOT the license to reuse photos that you publish on Twitter. This can help for outreach and various Blog updates.
Various map products
UNOSAT GDACS Live map with geolocated damage analysis.https://unosat.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=b9f9da798f364cd6a6e68fc20f5475eb

Visualisation, Potentially Dangerous Glacial Lakes of Nepal
http://geoportal.icimod.org/storymaps/nepalglakes/

Lanslides in the mountains with the last earthquake this week - See this video to better understand the reality of people living in remote areas of Nepal with only paths connecting the high mountain villages.https://twitter.com/pierzen/status/599005434733789185
A Visualisation Gift from Christian Quest of OSM-fr
New contributions to OSM for Nepal
Awesoooooooooooooooooooooome!!!
http://osm.cquest.org/nepal/#9/27.7139/85.3198

twitter update on this