[HOT] OSM Nepal Reponse - Links to various infos

Stefan Keller sfkeller at gmail.com
Fri May 15 18:43:09 UTC 2015

Salut Pierre, hi Will, dear leading HOT members, hello all

> > Such a response has brought various discussions on the HOT list on how
to both respond quickly and assure data quality.

I really appreciate your work and the work of all contributors. So excuse
me if I'm little bit too harsh now.

I'm trying to to collect the minimal common set of HOT tags for specifying
a renderer, for future use and for OSM quality in general.

Will already answered finally in an earlier post (thanks!) - but I'm sorry
to say: What we (OSM) now have in HOT pages is a tag mess since years!

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Perhaps there a process on tagging mailing
list I'm missing? Here's what I found:

To me the potential main HOT tag page is "Humanitarian_OSM_Tags" [1]. This
page is very "orphaned" - it has been edited twice since 2013(!?).
It prominently points to "Humanitarian_Data_Background" as "An up-to-date
list of tags for HOT" - being a page which has been updated 3.5 years ago
(!?).

Then I see that no single wiki page with Nepal in its title - including
"2015_Nepal_earthquake" [3]  - is pointing to Humanitarian_OSM_Tags,
whereas the Nepal_remote_mapping_guide [4] mainly lists the usual main tags
(like building=yes, natural=wood|water, water=*, waterway=river,
waterway=stream, landuse=farmland).

I would expect at least to see tags like damage:event and idp:camp_site -
being top 20 in [6] - to show up in any wiki page related to tags mentioned
above.
But these aren't even mentioned in the wiki except somehow in [4] - but
which was declared outdated 2013.

How can we clean up this under-documented mess and "tag soup" at least for
a small common set of tags?

Yours, S.

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Tags
[2]