[HOT] Request for information about common set of tags for HOT (Was: OSM Nepal Reponse - Links to various infos)

Blake Girardot bgirardot at gmail.com
Wed May 20 13:47:51 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

I just want to put a small slow down on this process.

HOT is in the midst of discussing its over all tagging strategy and
needs to do so on the public lists shortly here.

quickly as to the potential helicopter landing sites:

aeroway=helipad

Is _only_ for confirmed helipads. That tag means something and it is not
for guesses. If something is marked aeroway=helipad it is because there
is a Circle H there or someone on the ground has confirmed it is a helipad.

Even something like emergency=landing_site is too concrete for the
potential landing sites we have been mapping.

We have settled for now on:

emergency:helipad=potential
damage:event=nepal_earthquake_2015

To emphasize these are just potential sites and literally nothing more.
It is not easy to properly identify actual, for sure, emergency landing
sites via aerial imagery. We have been getting feedback from on the
ground that some of the areas we identified are in fact acceptable and
we can then change potential to yes.

So I have started the process of going over the wiki pages Stefan
pointed out and thinking about how the requests for our mapping have
evolved since then, which is really what drives all our mapping and
tagging, requests from our field partners.

Speak with you all soon,
Cheers,
Blake