[HOT] Request for information about common set of tags for HOT (Was: OSM Nepal Reponse - Links to various infos)

Andreas Goss andig88 at t-online.de
Wed May 20 12:14:32 UTC 2015

> there seems to be little information related to the emergency relief
> effort.  In over 366,000 records there are only 19 marked as aeroway =
> helipad.

I already brought this up on the tagging mailinglist. The problem is
that someone had the great idea to tag those as leisure=common, which is
honestly one of the worst defined and most abigious OSM Tags in geneal
(in my opinion this is a UK only tag due to legal implications), just
check out the Wiki.
And what makes it really bad is that you can correctly tag places as
leisure=common where no helicopter can land.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:leisure%3Dcommon

Now aeroway=helipad probablay wasn't used, because it's really meant for
places designed and designated for a helicopter to land not just where
it could land. Even though the decription isn't that clear, I think it
was the correct move not to use it.

The question is why not have a new tag?
And then it actually turned out that in Poland they are already using a
Tag that could have been used by HOT:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:emergency%3Dlanding_site