[HOT] Database, OSM & HOT (Was: Request for information about common set of tags for HOT)

althio althio.forum at gmail.com
Wed May 20 15:32:41 UTC 2015

Springfield,

Sorry for the partial answer and I don't mean to be harsh because I
know things around here are not easy to find and understand. We all
need pointers and FAQ or homepages and portals...

My point is... I do think that you are somehow confused between
OpenStreetMap and HOT:

***
OSM aka OpenStreetMap, the project, its database, its goals, its community
   - [http://www.openstreetmap.org/welcome] OpenStreetMap, the free
and editable map of the world
   - [http://www.openstreetmap.org/about] OpenStreetMap is built by a
community of mappers that contribute and maintain data about roads,
trails, caf├ęs, railway stations, and much more (note: also video
games, hairdresser, gymnastics, karate and volleyball...) (note2: also
boundaries, hospitals, schools), all over the world.

see also OSM Foundation, the entity to support the project
   - http://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Main_Page

***
HOT aka Humanitarian OSM Team is using a subset of OSM database and
building on it, its own goals (some overlap with OSM), its own
community (some overlap with OSM)
   - [http://hotosm.org/] The Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team [HOT]
applies the principles of open source and open data sharing for
humanitarian response and economic development.
   - [http://hotosm.org/about]
   - [https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Team]

***

Back to OSM and "tag soup" database. This is a rather hard and
technical topic, and not really related to HOT and this list. You will
not find the answer here, nor the most interested or skilled people.
HOT uses and contributes to the database, HOT does not control it.

A few more words anyway? ("I am not a lawyer" and "I am not a database expert").
OSM database is open, free, public, iterative and rather rich.
OSM database is not fixed, not complete, not comprehensive, not
homogeneous (spatially at least).
The philosophy and structure have their own advantages and
disadvantages compared to existing datasets.
Please appreciate the uniqueness, value and potential of OSM database
before you try to make it a clone of something existing.

All the best,

 - althio