[HOT] Database, OSM & HOT (Was: Request for information about common set of tags for HOT)

Andreas Goss andig88 at t-online.de
Sat May 23 12:42:39 UTC 2015

> Oops, now I see that they are not even in Nepal.  Does each project have
> its own set of terminology?  Are we certain that some emergency landing
> sites were not given different tags by different mappers as this
> "flexibility" seems to be viewed as beneficial.

The idea is certainly not for very project to have its own tags and we
try to avoid it whenever possible, even try to merge tags when we see
there are similar meanings (which isn't easy, because mass edits aren't
allowed unless you basically get 100% support)
What usually happens is that there is local demand to tag something and
then people come up with a tag. Unfortunately people often forget to
document it as you already figured out, if there had been a wiki page
for landing_site and it had been linked on aeroway=helipad someone from
HOT might have found that tag.

> To me this just demonstrates the chaotic nature of the tagging scheme,
> little consistency or documentation.  However, if it appears to work
> then it works.

It's certainly a issue and HOT is certainly not the project doing the
best job when it comes to documentation (Well, it's often documented
somewhere, but not easy to find). Most mappers usually care about their
area, which means HOT can often get away with strange tags or tags that
have not been discussed, because they don't pop up in the neighbourhood
of mappers in Europe.
I mean of you started tagging amenity=kitchen in Germany you would have
a 10 page discussion of what kind of kitchen that is, who has access etc.

Cheers,
Andi