[HOT] Database, OSM & HOT (Was: Request for information about common set of tags for HOT)

Brad Neuhauser brad.neuhauser at gmail.com
Sat May 23 12:42:42 UTC 2015

There is a fairly standardized set of tags that are used frequently.
There's no requirement that they be used, but they are common conventions
that make the data more usable. So, the *database* doesn't make sure things
are right--the *community* does. If you haven't seen it yet, many of these
common tags--possibly too many ;)--are collected on the Map Features page (
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Features) and used in other ways
such as editor presets. Another, often fascinating, way to look at tag
usage is at Taginfo (http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/). 125 million
building=yes features! http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/building=yes

OSM to shapefile (or database) stuff is always a pain, because of the
tabular structure that shapefile/databases expect versus the freeform
key=value structure of OSM data. So you're bound to get a certain subset of
tags, unless you do some customization. There are lots of ways to create
shapefiles--see
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Shapefiles#Create_your_own_shapefiles
 (or for PostGIS, see  http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osm2pgsql)

Tagging is sometimes chaotic, inconsistent and poorly documented, but for
the most part it keeps improving--what more can you ask for? :)

Cheers,
Brad