[HOT] step by step recipe for iD bug reporting

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Sun May 24 02:15:56 UTC 2015

On Sat, May 23, 2015 at 5:00 PM, Charlotte Wolter <techlady at techlady.com>
wrote:

>       Right. It should be clarified.
>          "Problem with iD or JSOM"
>         As for what else is needed, that is up to those who know how to
> fix either. Maybe the button above should lead to two choices: "iD" or
> "JOSM," at which point the appropriate questionnaire appears.
>         Does JOSM include a way to report issues? To my knowledge, iD
> does not. Clearly they need to be separate.

JOSM bugs are reported on the josm.openstreetmap.de website. One the main
JOSM page are the instructions:

Found a bug? | Have an idea? | Make a suggestion?

<http://josm.openstreetmap.de/#Bugs>

   - Please report any bug found: Create a new ticket
      <http://josm.openstreetmap.de/newticket> using the Report Bug
      <http://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/Help/Action/ReportBug> entry in
      the main menu Help <http://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/Help/Menu/Help>.
      Alternatively, the same function is available under About
      <http://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/Help/Action/About> and Show status
      report
      <http://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/Help/Action/ShowStatusReport>.
      - Discuss ideas and suggestions also in the bug tracker
      <http://josm.openstreetmap.de/newticket>, on the ​josm-dev
      on the ​#josm IRC channel.

JOSM is sold as an advanced editor which might give the impress that
someone "steps up" from iD to JSOM. From what I've seen on HOT, for some
tasks it is the preferred editor which means that new mappers are using
JOSM. If they come from an open source, ie linux, background I don't see
any real roadblocks to creating bug reports. But for the vast majority it
is somewhat intimidating. One solution is to report the bug on the Tasking
Manager for the task owner to verify. If it is a bug, the task owner
reports the bug on the josm website. That allows the owner to triage the
reports to make sure that they weed out user/training issues.

I'm inclined to suggest modifying the TM interface to include these issues.
What does everyone else think?

Clifford

--
@osm_seattle