[HOT] Level of user experience to focus on

Dan S danstowell+osm at gmail.com
Thu May 28 13:15:36 UTC 2015

Hi Rekth,

That's a great question. My perspective, as an occasional HOT facilitator:

The learning curve for people getting into HOT has two "steep bits".
The SECOND steep bit is advanced users learning how to use josm,
learning how to validate etc. I've actually been surprised that this
second steep bit doesn't seem too off-putting for people. The FIRST
steep bit is when they're still quite new and learning how to use the
TM, how to read aerial imagery, how to trace ways, etc. It's that
first bit where the Tasking Manager could help facilitate their
experience (especially since there are many complexities outside of
the Tasking Manager), and where the TM could make sure that they have
a positive, fluid experience that they feel good about repeating. So
personally, I'd certainly say focus on the first-time or second-time
visitors.

Best
Dan