[HOT] Level of user experience to focus on

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at rushpost.com
Fri May 29 05:07:38 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-05-28 at 12:57 +0000, Rekth K wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Thank you for all your welcoming messages!
>
> I'd like to ask a question on what type(s) of user(s) to take into
> consideration when testing for usability and suggesting improvements. In
> other words, for what level of experience am I supposed to optimise the
> Tasking Manager? Should it be for first time visitors, those who land on
> the hotosm page and do not know what HOT is? Or should the usability
> testing lean towards fully experienced users and their needs?

At the risk of sounding slightly elitist, I really think we should
mostly assume at least minimally experienced users who have at least
done some armchair mapping in their country and/or local area mapping
partially aided by aerials. I say this for two practical reasons:

1. A humanitarian mapping project is not the time and place to learn how
to properly use iD or JOSM.
2. The quality of work tends to correlate positively with level of
mapping experience.