[HOT] Mapathon OSM Haiti : Canaan housing and road revision

Pierre Béland pierzenh at yahoo.fr
Fri Nov 20 21:54:00 UTC 2015

In the context of the OSM Francophone Space, we organize tomorrow a Mapathon at Communitere in Port-au-Prince, Haiti
Hopefully our colleagues gathered in Lome, Togo will join us virtually to contribute to update the data.

We will work with the November 2015 imagery realised by Presler Jean and the OSM Haiti community and revise information on Canaan to reflect the evolution of housing in particular.

Deforestation of the mountains and the rapid urbanization of areas along the Canaan Ravines pose a risk to people nearby. The OSM Haiti community has made flights of UAVs over the area since 2013 to measure the progress of residential buildings and identify the most at-risk areas. In parallel, meetings with local communities aim to raise awareness of the risks related to habitat in a flood zone where heavy rains swell rapidly in the Ravines. Meetings with local councils also help to support them in analyzing data and identifying solutions and look at long-term planning.

The precision of UAV images will allow to draw buildings and roads in the area, and revise as new construction or relocation of houses in areas most at risk to other areas.

We will publish the job tomorrow morning.In the meantime, I am asking that we archive the current ONA job using Satellite imagery to avoid any duplication.

Dale, could you archive the task and avoid to map from the UAV imagery tonight in your mapathons? This woud let the OSM Haiti community map tomorrow from the UAV imagery they produced.
 regard

Pierre