[HOT] Fw: [MappingDC] Amnesty International is calling to map refugee routes

Blake Girardot bgirardot at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 12:20:14 UTC 2015

Hi Mikel,

HOT community members Katja and Imre have been quietly working with
small NGOs and other groups in Europe to identify, locate and map
refugee camps, reception and detention centers and border control points
that are relevant to the migration crisis.

The current output of their progress (which is mostly complete based on
UNHCR data) is in this umap and is available as .osm or .geojson files
for anyone interested:

http://u.osmfr.org/m/55091/

Imre has started a wiki page to coordinate tagging for refugee related
tags in OSM, it is not quite complete, but is pretty close. It also
include some model overpass-turbo queries to extract what is currently
in OSM:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:ImreSamu/2015_RefugeeInfo

Katja and Imre also shared these UNHCR resources for maps of UNHCR
relevant data:

Latest 2015 data collections:

http://data.unhcr.org/mediterranean/documents.php?page=1&view=grid

 From 2014, but still relevant:

http://www.unhcr-centraleurope.org/hu/pdf/informacioforrasok/terkepek/menekultugyi-ellatorendszerek-kozep-europaban-2014.html

Also, our DHN partners have collected a pretty extensive list of small
NGOs and ad hoc groups working in the area and visualized that into a
Who What Where portal. I will pass the link in your email/twitter on to
them and if the DHN resources of 3W or their extensive list of twitter
users and hashtags to monitor could be of use please let me know and I
will share that directly with you as well.

DHN is also in the process of putting together a coordination channel
(email list or web based data resource) for smaller NGOs and ad hoc
groups addressing this crisis to help them share information and
coordinate their efforts.

And lastly, Bart van Eijden, a freelance photographer has been doing
amazing photojournalism work documenting this crisis. Some of his
pictures are difficult to look at, but his extensive imagery really
conveys a sense of the situation on the ground.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bartvaneijden/

Regards,
Blake