[HOT] Using TMS Within QGIS

Rod Bera rod at goarem.org
Tue Oct 13 09:15:25 UTC 2015

Hi Pierre and Noah,

I like to add my 2 cents. Sorry in advance for not bringing a solution
but instead here's a general suggestion:

Maybe the OSM community should move to OGC's WMTS.
TMS proves useful, is supposed to be fast, but so does WMTS.

Moreover, WMTS is an OGC standard, and works fine with other OGC standards.
You can therefore use them together: WMTS for quick display, WMS for
rendering, WFS or WCS for querying, CSW for metadata, etc. And since OGC
has its weight clients to handle these standard (esp. QGIS) are
developed in priority.
In my view building bridges and making transparent the interoperability
between OSM and OGC is a priority as OSM is being largely used in the
world of spatial data infrastructures (SDI) as a base map but also as a
source for layer extraction. Reversely, SDIs can serve data and layers
for OSM mapping.

Well, at this point maybe I should give an example.

here:
http://geoxxx.agrocampus-ouest.fr/mapfishapp?lang=en/map/8645aa4aef0ce2dde95ecf4e21e7bf10

This is OSM data uploaded onto an SDI during the mapping action in Cote
d'Ivoire last week. Nice and versatile, as this is opens numberless ways
to reuse OSM data and probably make them reach e.g. people who are
strictly not into OSM and tech ("common" people, local councils, etc.
those who infrequently use google maps...).

To add a note on bridges:

*here the SDI is using OSM as a base map (wms! and really quick, thanks
to http://www.osm-wms.de/; http://ows.terrestris.de/dienste.html#wms;
the wms url you can cut-paste in qgis:
http://ows.terrestris.de/osm/service?)

*in menu "espace de travail" ("workspace". Prefer it in english ? then
reload as
http://geoxxx.agrocampus-ouest.fr/mapfishapp/map/8645aa4aef0ce2dde95ecf4e21e7bf10?lang=en
; same holds for es, de, ru) you can move to OSM's editing tools (ID,
Potlatch, Josm)

*in menu outils/tools you can load extra tools. One of them is "OSM to
geOrchestra". You can add a layer to the viewer based on overpass queries.

As you see the convergence between OSM and SDIs is on its way, but there
is a lot that can be done. And OGC standards are a key.

Some more details on this SDI. It was set up for teaching and training
and the underlying techno is geOrchestra (http://www.georchestra.org/).
It's FOSS, makes a full use of OGC standards (as mentioned earlier), and
stands on the shoulders of "geogiants" (GeoServer, GeoNetwork,
Openlayers, etc.)
And as geOrchestra is modular, you can easily replace or remove some of
these (e.g. not running a GeoNetwork, or use Mapserver instead of GS, etc.)

Unfortunately, all this can't be achieved just with TMS. We definitely
need to use OGC web services as much as possible, and several at a time.

Rod