[HOT] How to incorporate WASH data into OSM

Rafael Avila Coya ravilacoya at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 15:13:37 UTC 2015

Hi, José and all:

To incorporate that data into OSM would be an import.

If not mistaken, Séverin Menard organized the first import back in 2012
of UNICEF data of Central African Republic, that included three sets of
data: health facilities, schools and water facilities. The latest was
the biggest, with 1,937 nodes.

With some small modifications, we still use that import workflow [1] as
a reference for most (if not all) the manual imports we organize through
the HOT Tasking Manager. You can see two examples here: [2] and [3].

>From the CAR UNICEF WASH import wiki [4] we can get further tags for the
tagging translation of your original tags. This is one starting
suggestion using all sources you have pointed to:

PUMP_EXISTS and
PUMP_TYPE -> pump=powered/manual/yes/no/unknown

OTHER_PUMP_TYPE -> ?

HAND_PUMP_WORKING -> operational_status=open/closed/unknown

NOT_WORKING:NOT_WORKING_TIME_UNIT -> opening_hours=* ?

NOT_WORKING:HOW_LONG_NOT_WORKING -> opening_hours=* ?

NOT_WORKING:NOT_WORKING_LABEL -> ?

WHY_NOT_WORKING -> ?

FLOW_RATE -> This would need a new tag

BOREHOLE_PROTECTED -> This would need a new tag

REPAIR_NEEDED -> pump:status maybe...

TYPE_OF_REPAIR_NEEDED -> This would need a new tag

Those with "?" are the ones I don't know the exact meaning.

To answer your questions:

Should all of the variables be included as tags?

That should be decided during the import process, that it's normally as
follows:

1) A group of people (could be you alone, or with HOT community, or
whoever you think is best) discuss a proposal and write a wiki. In fact,
it's what we are doing right now.

2) Then, it has to be discussed with the local OSM community. If Chad
OSM community is small, it's advisable to submit it to HOT for opinions,
but my understanding is that there is actually a Chad community already
(I may ask around to find out).

3) Once that step is cleared, we go to the imports list, to eventually
improve the workflow, tagging, etc.

4) We create the Tasking Manager project for the import.

Steps 1, 2 and 3 shouldn't take more than 2-3 weeks altogether. Actual
import (step 4) duration depends on how many water facilities we have,
number of volunteers who join, etc.

Apart from the import itself, it's very advisable to include, at least,
tracing the roads that give access to all those water points. If those
water points have also the place they are located in the original
tagging, it would be very interesting to add a place node to the places
that aren't named yet. These two features (access roads and place nodes)
were part of the UNICEF import workflow, as you can read, and of many
other subsequent imports.

Is there a protocol on how to incorporate WASH and water infrastructure
data?

I have already answered to this question: Follow import guidelines
(steps 1, 2 and 3) and do the manual import through the HOT Tasking
Manager (step 4). I can help you throughout all the process.

Cheers,

Rafael.

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import_CAR_UNICEF_workflow
[2] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import_Liberia_UNMIL_Places_Workflow