[HOT] Quick question on village mapping

Russell Deffner russell.deffner at hotosm.org
Thu Oct 29 23:00:57 UTC 2015

Ah, but actual village/place boundaries can't really be determined via imagery; so we 'traditionally' mark areas that look residential/lived in with landuse=residential and handle any place boundaries with import, etc.

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Norman [mailto:penorman at mac.com] 
Sent: Thursday, October 29, 2015 4:54 PM
To: hot at openstreetmap.org
Subject: Re: [HOT] Quick question on village mapping

On 10/28/2015 2:53 AM, Pete Masters wrote:
> Hi all,
> If you are adding field data to an existing shape 
> (landuse=residential), would you tag the shape as place=village / 
> name=whatever or would you add a node and tag the node.
> I've generally done the latter, but am seeing quite a few villages in 
> Chad that conform to the former.

landuse is not for mapping places, but land usage. If you want to show 
the extents of a village, use a place polygon. If the extents of the two 
are the same, you could put them both on the same object.

HOT mailing list
HOT at openstreetmap.org

More information about the HOT mailing list