[HOT] South Sudan mapping - abandoned / destroyed buildings / settlements

Blake Girardot bgirardot at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 12:23:41 UTC 2015

Hi Andrew,

Yes, please map buildings and settlements that are visible but damaged
or destroyed. It is really helpful to map things you come across that
you think are interesting or important (man made towers, bridges, dams,
etc) but are not in the instructions. You are never limited by the
instructions, you can always map other things.

Not having seen the area it is hard to pick the exact tags. Even seeing
the area/buildings it can be hard to pick the best tags as this area of
tagging gets a lot of discussion.

Can you share the task square number or url for the task square that
contains the area in question?

Generally, if the area is in or part of a larger settlement and damaged
but likely to be rebuilt we will tag it as landuse=brownfield, as is
often the case after natural disasters.

If this is a whole settlement that is destroyed and abandoned, I would
suggest putting the prefix abandoned: (also called a "namespace" on any
of the tags you would normally put on it.

some examples:

abandoned:building=yes
abandoned:landuse=residential

For reference, here is the wiki page about that:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:abandoned:

And like I said, that is how I would do it and others might have some
differing opinions, but that is what makes the most sense to me for the
tags we have now as I understand them.

If you use the iD editor that can be a little tedious to do, in JOSM we
can edit lots of objects at once, so if you map in the buildings and
then send me a note, I can put the full tag on them.

Thank you again for helping map and especially for asking questions and
sharing your mapping with the list, we all learn and become better
mappers when that happens!

Cheers,
Blake