[HOT] World Bank project - Seismic Risk in Kyrgyz Republic - Create OSM mapping task

Yannis Fourniadis Yannis.Fourniadis at arup.com
Wed Sep 16 13:51:31 UTC 2015

Hello,

I am working for Arup, an international engineering consultancy based in London. As Arup, we have been active participants to OpenStreeMap (OSM), particularly as regards the Missing Maps Project. Employees from Arup offices in the UK and the USA have contributed significant time to map parts of South Kivu in the Congo.

I am writing to enquire on the feasibility of initiating a mapping task through OSM Tasking Manager (http://tasks.hotosm.org/) for the mapping of buildings and infrastructure (roads, railways) in the Kyrgyz Republic.

The Kyrgyz Republic is located in a region of high seismic hazard. In addition, the typical buildings in the region are susceptible to damage from seismic hazards (e.g. earthquake ground shaking). The population in the region is therefore exposed to the combination of high seismic hazards and vulnerable building stock. The country is therefore considered to be a region of high seismic risk.

The World Bank is supporting a project whereby a nationwide seismic risk assessment study will be undertaken. A team led by Arup, and including the Bishkek-based Central Asian Institute of Applied Geosciences (CAIAG), has been appointed by the World Bank to carry out consultancy services in relation to seismic hazard and risk for the Kyrgyz Republic.

Together with science and engineering students from Bishkek University, we will undertake community mapping of exposure data (buildings and infrastructure) as part of this project, on 8-9 October 2015. Speaking to Pete Masters (Missing Maps Project Coordinator for Doctors Without Borders UK), he suggested I contact you to help us setup an OSM mapping task, through which our local partners could undertake the community mapping.

Could you please advise whether you are able and willing to create an OSM task for us to use? I would be happy to liaise further in terms of developing the task (i.e. features to be mapped, commonly used tags etc.).

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,
Yannis

Yannis Fourniadis
Senior Engineering Geologist
PhD  DIC  CGeol

Arup
13 Fitzroy Street  London  W1T 4BQ  United Kingdom
d: +44 20 7755 4310
www.arup.com <http://www.arup.com/>