[HOT] Getting current satellite data after an emergency

Edwin Wisse edwin at kandedifang.com
Sat Sep 19 15:39:52 UTC 2015

Dear Severin, dear Andres,

Thanks for your answers. Good to know hot volunteers are looking at the
imagery.

Copernicus/Sentinel offers more than imagery. I think classified maps
could be a good data source for volunteers.

The issue with the provider (ESA) is that it is not easy to get the data
source. The fact that data is now freely available should improve
things, but i have not found any tiling map server either. As Andres
points out you need that for use in web applications like iD.

The opportunity is the fact that ESA also needs users. They actively
promote use by the community through for example the Copernicus Masters.
A few years ago i had the honour of accepting the GMES prize (as it was
called then) for an crowdsourcing web application where we used
satellite imagery to monitor deforestation. That particular initiative
fizzled out by lack of a sustained active community. HOT/Openstreetmap
on the other hand, has a strong, committed community for years

Here is the idea:
- contact ESA to discuss data availability (and publicity for ESA)
     - server
     - information layers for disaster response
- fork iD to include layer lists which can be configured by a HOT task
manager (she/he should be able to select data sources for a particular task)
- write instructions for the different data layers, again to be selected
by a HOT task manager

What do you think? I have a background in remote sensing and might be
able to contact some people in ESA or the Anwendungszentrum (they
organise the Copernicus Master). I would love to make a contribution
this way.

Best regards,
Edwin

Op 18-9-2015 om 19:58 schreef Ortiz, Andres - (p):

> Hi Edwin,
>
> We’re actually facing this exact same issue for an earthquake
> simulation we’re doing tomorrow in Mexico City [1].
>
> Please also consider this; as far as I know, satellite Image providers
> (like Digital Globe) could provide their data the fastest way as WMS ,
> however that’s only useful for editing with JOSM and not with ID editor.
>
> Another thing you have to consider is that the satellite image is
> provided already ortorectified otherwise that’s another step you need
> to perform on the images before jumping to use them.
>
> Mapbox provides their satellite image layers over TMS
>
> Take a look at this article[2], they talk about the use of the images
> from Digital Globe for Turkey’s earthquake HOT OSM activation.
>
> Regards,
>
> Andres Ortiz Haro
>
> Telenav Mexico
>
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Andresuco