[HOT] Downlaoding OSM data with timestamp field and Source field

Samuel Aiyeoribe olubunmi4ever at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Sep 18 15:30:44 UTC 2015

This is really helpul Imre.....thanks a lot.
CheersSamuel Samuel Aiyeoribe

     On Friday, 18 September 2015, 15:09, Imre Samu <pella.samu at gmail.com> wrote:

 Hi Samuel,

>makes the script to timeout.

you can "tune" the overpass query a little, but sometimes the servers overcrowded ..
- On the script you can modify the timeout parameter             [out:json][timeout:625];- and you can modify the overpass-server to other  ( stronger or less crowded instance ) [  Settings / General settings /  Server: "http://overpass.osm.rambler.ru/cgi/" ] (  http://overpass.osm.rambler.ru/cgi/  =  (8 cores, 64 GB RAM).   :  information: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Overpass_API  )

I have tried to load all higway tag from Nigeria , but probably this query  is to big   for overpass.. .

sometimes help - to   create a lot of smaller query -  like: You can create a query for  every  highway value. *  highway=primary  in "Nigeria"”      ( timeout 425 , + meta ) ->   http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/bwK*  highway=secondary  in "Nigeria"   ( timeout 425 , + meta ) ->   http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/bwL*  ...
But if you want processing  "big" data , my prefered method ( on linux ) :- downloading the raw data : http://download.geofabrik.de/africa/nigeria.html  ( nigeria-latest.osm.pbf, )- and load with "osm2pgsql"  ( http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osm2pgsql )   to PostgreSQL    with ( --extra-attributes ) option.    "To use the osm_user, osm_uid, osm_version, and osm_timestamp tags, you must use the osm2pgsql option --extra-attributes when importing."
- and analyze with  SQL  ( like: https://github.com/openstreetmap/osm2pgsql/blob/master/docs/analysis.md )
Probably  this is working on windows - but I not tested ..  ( http://learnosm.org/en/osm-data/osm2pgsql/  )    .

cheers,   Imre

Thanks Imre and Giovanni,
Imre:
I have tried out your method on overpass and it work but the issue i am having has to do with the extent of the size of the data which makes the script to timeout.
When i tried extracting highway for the whole of Nigeria it timed out, i reduced it to a State it timed out too but when i reduced it to a lower geography it worked. I need the data for a larger geography, do you think if a have a faster internet the script can run before it timed out or do i try other browsers as i currently use chrome.
Will appreciate your advice.
Giovanni:
I can't figure out the api method, can you please explain better

ThanksSamuel