[HOT] Downlaoding OSM data with timestamp field and Source field

Imre Samu pella.samu at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 14:09:15 UTC 2015

Hi Samuel,

>makes the script to timeout.

you can "tune" the overpass query a little, but sometimes the servers
overcrowded ..

- On the script you can modify the timeout parameter
            [out:json][timeout:625];
- and you can modify the overpass-server to other  ( stronger or less
crowded instance ) [  Settings / General settings /  Server: "
http://overpass.osm.rambler.ru/cgi/" ]
(  http://overpass.osm.rambler.ru/cgi/  =  (8 cores, 64 GB RAM).   :
 information: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Overpass_API  )

I have tried to load all higway tag from Nigeria , but probably this query
 is to big   for overpass.. .

sometimes help - to   create a lot of smaller query -  like: You can create
a query for  every  highway value.
*  highway=primary  in "Nigeria"”      ( timeout 425 , + meta ) ->
http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/bwK
*  highway=secondary  in "Nigeria"   ( timeout 425 , + meta ) ->
http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/bwL
*  ...

But if you want processing  "big" data , my prefered method ( on linux ) :
- downloading the raw data :
http://download.geofabrik.de/africa/nigeria.html  ( nigeria-latest.osm.pbf,
)
- and load with "osm2pgsql"  ( http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osm2pgsql
)   to PostgreSQL    with ( --extra-attributes ) option.
    "To use the osm_user, osm_uid, osm_version, and osm_timestamp tags, you
must use the osm2pgsql option --extra-attributes when importing."

- and analyze with  SQL  ( like:
https://github.com/openstreetmap/osm2pgsql/blob/master/docs/analysis.md )

Probably  this is working on windows - but I not tested ..  (
http://learnosm.org/en/osm-data/osm2pgsql/  )    .

cheers,
   Imre