[HOT] OSM Geo Week

Dale Kunce dale.kunce at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 19:43:41 UTC 2015

My name is Dale Kunce and I lead the International GIS Team at the American
Red Cross and I am also a HOT Board Member.

One of the projects that the GIS team supports here at the American Red
Cross is the Missing Maps <http://www.missingmaps.org/> project - a
collaboration between the Humanitarian OpenStreeMap Team, American Red
Cross, British Red Cross, and Médecins Sans Frontières.

*The objective of Missing Maps is simple: to map the most vulnerable places
in the developing world so that local and international NGOs, communities
and individuals can use the maps and the data to better respond to crises
affecting the areas. *The project seeks to literally and figuratively put
people, and their communities, on the map.

Missing Maps will be celebrating it’s one year anniversary on November 7th,
2015. To date over 3,500 volunteers have attended mapathons in one of 11
countries, collectively making 12 million edits to OSM and putting 7.5
million people on the map.

*November 15th is OSM Geo Week *and presents a great opportunity for HOT
community members to come together and map to prepare communities for the
next disaster. Represent your school, community, or work during OSM
Geo Week anytime
between November 15th-21st as we remotely map areas for projects by various
NGO’s working in the most vulnerable places around the world. We’ll even
send you some swag!

HOT and our Missing Maps partners would really like to do GeoWeek in a huge
way this year and get 100 mapping parties, mapathons, mappy hours and
mapternoons happening around the world.

Tasks are already being planned for Ecuador, Colombia, Peru, Kenya,
Myanmar, the Democratic Republic of the Congo and South Africa to name a
few, and will directly support forthcoming Missing Maps efforts on the
ground. If this sounds like something you would be interested in
supporting, our team can provide you with all of the materials and remote
support needed to host a successful mapathon.

If you have ever thought it might be fun to get together with co-workers,
friends, students and/or strangers to share your enthusiasm for the power
of maps and make a difference while doing it, GeoWeek is the perfect time
to do it. Events can be any size, some mapathons were as small as 10 people
and as large as a 150 people. Anyone can do it and we have all the
materials to help you host your mapathon.

Register to Host a Mapping Party <http://goo.gl/forms/bBI3pQ1IE6>

Once registered we will contact you with some follow up materials, tasks,
social media toolkit, etc.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact me
<dale.kunce at redcross.org>, Blake Girardot <bgirardot at gmail.com> or Drishtie
Patel <drishtie.patel at redcross.org> the American Red Cross Missing Maps
Coordinator.

--

*Dale Kunce* | Senior Geospatial Engineer and GIS Team Lead  | International
Services |  American Red Cross