[HOT] Request to those organising a maperthon. -, validation support

Martin Noblecourt m_noblecourt at cartong.org
Mon Apr 4 07:59:14 UTC 2016

Hi,

I actually like your last idea Blake!
I understand how it can be frustrating for validators like John to see loads of new mappers do errors on some projects, we're trying to do our best in capacity building when running mapathons but mistakes are always possible.
The closest we can put the validator to the new mapper is the best in my opinion: ideally in the same room (which is why we target to get validators during mapathons), or else simultaneously (or almost) if the validators are not there... so a way to identify the "main" validators for a task would indeed be interesting. Maybe I'm putting the cart before the wheels but having a way for people to "register" as validator to a project could be interesting for the projects managers? (and then a button "send a message to all validators" on which we can notify of upcoming mapathons :-) )

Finally, let's not forget that mapathons are not only a great way to bring new contributors but also to create awareness on OSM amongst people that are not familiar with it, including NGO workers and local communities, so it ultimately servers the purpose of the HOT community of bringing data to the people needing it :-)

Best regards.

Martin