[HOT] How to become a validator (a suggestion)

graham graham at klunky.co.uk
Tue Apr 5 09:37:39 UTC 2016

Dear Hi,

With the subject of validators in that last few emails, and past emails thread discussing how to know when some one can start validating or not. How much experience does one need? One may think that they are good, but other may not etc..

So, I thought to just suggest an idea. I am not sure what people might think about it, maybe it has already been discussed before.
Maybe the issue has been solved already.

The idea:

I think that maybe if there was a process to become officially recognised as an"Validator", then it would be a "position" worth achieving, it would make it a challenge. For now, I do not think that there is any solid pre-requisite to be a validator?

Below I am suggesting a potential avenue to become an official validator:

1) To complete a minimum number of tiles, as proof of commitment to HOT and direct experience with HOT mapping (regardless of one's professional career), then 2) to take a short test of proficiency.

Details:

1) Can members the HOT team determine the number of tiles each user has completed? I know that more that one user can complete one tile, but perhaps if one user completes a high percentage of a tile (of all the points, line, and polygons), that would be considered a "complete tile" for this purpose. As for another users then reworking the tile, this is another discussion point.

2)The test might be to review a number of tiles from previous projects and they need to comment on the quality of the digitalisation and complete any reworking that is needed. A minimum number of tiles need to be correct, (to a certain standard), in order to pass the test. In each test, a random subset of tiles for a complete selection of tiles could be used, so that not cheating could occur.

Additionally, these official validators could have a symbol next to their users names. This way, when a mapper asks for advise regarding their mapping, the mapper would know if a "validator" is responding or not.

Just an idea...

Regards,

Graham