[HOT] Ecuador: Done and Validated tasks need work and review

Jo winfixit at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 21:31:11 UTC 2016

Past Saturday I did a 'live' performance teaching JOSM to newbie mappers at
1 of the Belgian universities. Most of them were students of geography
though.
Still, I think the major hurdle is getting Java installed, JOSM downloaded
and started and then the initial setup (activate remote control, and
install buildings-tools and utils-plugin2 plugins. I also like todo,
mapillary, wikipedia, tag2link and openinghours).

At that point you show them how to use 's' and 'a' to add a node, maybe set
some tags. Then add a way with a few nodes. Again tags.

Make a closed way and create a building, the arcane way, 5 clicks, tag,
press 'q' to make rectangular.

Then 'b' for the buildings-tools to achieve it with 3 clicks and no need to
add that tag, nor press 'q'. Add another parallel one with just 2 clicks.

That's were the fun begins, now you can show them 'x' to create extruded
extensions. The building is still rectangular.

When creating buildings 'glued' to one another, it's possible to reuse the
first node. (Keep the first building selected). The other node that's
probably somewher in the middle of the wall, needs to be 'joined' to become
part of that wall using either 'n' or 'j'. When the node is not exactly on
that way, the behaviour of these 2 is different.

To improve way accuracy, you can use 'w'. Which is a splendid tool, once
you get used to it.

Round buildings: draw a line with 2 nodes, use shift-O. then I usually
remove 5 nodes and use 'o' to turn that potato into a circle again.

Then use 'd' to duplicate that building.

It's possible to use ctrl-alt-mousedrag to resize.
for duplicated rectangular buildings it's possible to use
ctrl-shift-mousedrag to rotate them.

There you go, a crash course of JOSM in under 20 minutes. It may make sense
to not tell them all this at once... but let them experiment and get used
to it in between.

Polyglot