[HOT] Ecuador: Done and Validated tasks need work and review

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 17:22:58 UTC 2016

Totally agree what I was trying to do when validating was simply tag tiles
that had buildings missing and catch the very obvious errors.  The
objective was to avoid the problems we had in Nepal where tiles were marked
done and validated when large chunks of buildings were omitted.

building=house you cannot assume that it has been mapped from imagery so it
could be correct.  Using JOSM and the building tool takes this decision
away from the mapper you get building=yes.

On some tiles I searched for house in JOSM then looked at the mapper, then
inspected with <crtl>i if it had been done in the last few days I assumed a
remote mapper and changed all those buildings so tagged to building=yes.

So yes it all needs to be properly validated again but we don't have the
resources to go over it extremely quickly.  I support Jo's point of view an
ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure or should that be gram of
prevention?

It's not as if we don't have the tools, the JOSM building tool is available
with a far lower error rate and given the faster rate of mapping that more
than makes up for the extra time taken to install JOSM.

Someone needs to make up their mind about maperthons, are they there to
engage the public then OK use iD and perhaps quietly scrap the mapping
afterwards since often as Jo says easier and quicker to remap from scratch
than correct or do we want to get some quality mapping done?

Cheerio John