[HOT] Addresses in Africa

Iván Sánchez Ortega ivan at sanchezortega.es
Wed Aug 31 12:48:22 UTC 2016

El onsdag 31. august 2016 08.29.01 CEST usted escribió:
> ​"bottle area codes"
>
> I like the idea but [...] A bit like net neutrality I think postcode would
> be more neutral.

I kinda disagree. Postcodes won't be neutral, because (as we've seen from
previous conversations) post offices/agencies tend to squeeze money from that
kind of data if they can.

Call me crazy, but I think beer (with local breweries and more than one brand,
AFAIK) might be the most neutral commodity for this scenario, as it reaches
and is demanded by illiterate population (unlike post!).

I'm thinking crazy experiments such as "beer census" - fill a form that comes
with the beer cases, those get bundled up the hierarchy, then you compile the
info, then you can send one free **addressed beer** back to everyone. All of a
sudden you create a demand for addressability.

Of course, people in the ground will have the best knowledge, but I stand in
my point: it's unwise to consider post offices/agencies the prime (or only)
source for any kind of survey of area codes.

--
Iván Sánchez Ortega <ivan at sanchezortega.es> <ivan at geonerd.org>
<ivan at mazemap.no>