[HOT] #MapLesotho task completed on Qacha's Nek

Ciarán Staunton ciaran.staunton at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 12:39:14 UTC 2016

Hi John,
Always nice to have a platform to talk about Lesotho. I always suggest "map
a little first before one validates", since the task instructions are more
detailed "post-basemap". Thats the only way to have the confidence to be
able to check another person's efforts.

That's a nice idea to have a detailed look at #MapLesotho's flaws and
quantify them. Obviously you have spotted that we already know/accept its
flawed, and we are sanguine about that because it is part of the phased
strategy alluded to on the Lesotho wiki. There have been phases of work
which are just locals, with the occasional shout of "come all ye", which
like Missing Maps has large numbers of new users. There is an inevitability
that people will make an effort and choose an unorthodox tag, or draw
something badly or whatever and its all part of the process as they tend to
have basic sanity and know something is water, versus something else being
trees, versus something else being a residential area or a field.
Nonetheless those contributions can be tidied up by others who as they grow
as mappers like to finesse the efforts others make. The calculation here is
that to make a quick twenty-five node effort at a hectare of forest into a
50 node effort which locks on nicely to the canopy line in 2D is a skill
mappers need to evolve instead of "getting it right first time". Now that's
not a licence to be sloppy, because feedback points out the correct things
and there are around 14 people in Lesotho who regularly impart feedback to
others pointing out the task instructions as the guidelines. I think this
sort of approach is fundamental to harnessing and managing a crowdsource,
with the local mappers policing what gets contributed more and more.

The team that just finished Qacha are using Osmose and Keepright to fix all
the odd things that result on the map. That's additional to the JOSM
validator. The Africa Highway tagging is on our radar for a big tidy up,
which I am hoping to help co-ordinate if I can travel to Lesotho in 2017.
The third phase will be all about the tidy up. The phase after (or starting
later) to that will be about detailing the map, building use surveys and
photographs and "street level" collection can still involve the wider
hotosm community using the Mapillarys and field papers that come available.

DeBigC