[HOT] HOT #2398 concern about old imagery date

Martin Hibbert m902.osm at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 11:14:46 UTC 2016

I'm doing validation on HOT #2398 (Aweil, South Sudan).

Following discussion with a mapper (Task 1789
<http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/2398#task/1789>) I have checked the
date on the Bing imagery and found that to the west of Aweil (and thus
most of #2398) the imagery is dated '3/30/2010-1/7/2011', as reported by
JOSM Tile Info.

My concern is that this is before South Sudan became a separate country.
Civil war and huge displacement of peoples means that the situation on
the ground will have changed radically.

If you look at Google Maps imagery (presumably of a later date) you can
see there are changes.

I've attempted to contact the project manager to discuss, but given that
it is New Year weekend cannot realistically expect a response until next
week.

Mapping using out of date imagery seems such a waste of hundreds of
hours of volunteer time, although it is obviously for MSF to decide if
the resulting data is useful.

Does anyone share my concerns? Is there anyone else from MSF on this
list who could give a view?

Thanks

Martin