[HOT] OpenStreetMap Celebrates International Women's Day

Clark, Courtney cclark2 at peacecorps.gov
Wed Feb 3 20:15:45 UTC 2016

Dear OpenStreetMap Community,

Gender disparity in OSM participation has been well-documented<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Diversity> by a number of gender equality advocates in our community. We know the immense benefits of participating in our community -- the chance to shape the world's map, technical training, access to a global network and professional opportunities. To participate, many of us enjoy privileges that are denied to millions of women and girls around the world, including digital literacy, access to the Internet, and the luxury of free time to edit OSM.

We will all be stronger -- including the map itself -- when the OSM community reaches gender parity. International Women's Day presents an invaluable opportunity for us to rally around gender equality in OSM. This year's theme is #PledgeforParity<http://www.internationalwomensday.com/>, and of course International Women's Day is March 8th.

Because editing OSM gives participants a voice in how their communities are represented to the world, because digital literacy is a must-know skill, because women and girls around the world are disproportionately burdened with work that prevents their participation in "extra" activities, this International Women's Day we ask every OSM community member around the world to contribute to gender parity.

These contributions can take many forms, including:

*         teaching a woman or girl in your life how to edit OSM

*         hosting a mapping party/event specifically for women and girls. Promote your event on the International Women's Day website here<http://www.internationalwomensday.com/Events>

*         mentoring a female member of the OSM community and encouraging her involvement in mailing lists and working groups

*         participating in our upcoming social media campaign -- make your #PledgeforParity public with Facebook and Twitter cover photos and more (instructions on how to join will be sent soon)

*         mapping for issues and using OSM tags of objects that disproportionately affect women, such as women's health services or childcare providers (a wiki page that outlines these tags and proposes new tags will be provided soon!)

American Red Cross/Missing Maps, MapGive, OFDA, USAID and Peace Corps have also teamed up to host an International Women's Day Mapathon in Washington, DC on March 8th from 6-9pm. Participants will map for HOT tasks that feature issues that disproportionately affect women. RSVP here<http://www.eventbrite.com/e/international-womens-day-mapathon-tickets-20488246898>.

We welcome your feedback, suggestions and ideas and are more than happy to assist anyone who would like to get involved or host their own event.

Sincerely,

The OpenStreetMap Foundation, The Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team Board and OSM US

Courtney Clark, Erika Nunez, Drishtie Patel and Vanessa Knoppke-Wetzel