[HOT] London, 18th March - looking for a speaker for Field Mapping Technologies evening at the RGS

Nick McWilliam nmcwilliam at mapaction.org
Wed Feb 10 15:02:48 UTC 2016

Hi All –

I’m helping the Royal Geographical Society put together an informal evening
event on emerging low-cost field mapping technologies – see the line-up
below. I wonder if there’s an enthusiastic speaker here who would like to
give a taste of OSM / HOT / MM in 10 minutes? It needn’t be comprehensive
and the brief is fairly open – enough to make people aware of developments,
show some case studies and hopefully inspire them to get involved. Ideally
someone based in/near London, to keep travel expenses down. If you’re
tempted by it, please let me know this week.

Looking ahead, I’m hopeful that this could help engage a large new
geographical community into the OSM world.

Once details of the event are finalised, I’ll send them round for those who
might like to attend.

Many thanks, best wishes –

Nick.

Friday evening, 18 March 2016  from 6-9pm

At the Royal Geographical Society (with IBG), 1 Kensington Gore, London SW7
2AR

A series of 10-minute TED-talk style presentations on new cheap and
accessible fieldwork technologies to set the context for your animated
discussions at the bar around field geo-tech:

(a)    OpenStreetMap and Missing Maps

(b)   Low-cost research drones and tethered remote sensing platforms

(c)    Using Arduino micro-controllers in the field, and

(d)   Mobile Apps for fieldwork