[HOT] How newer mappers can help a lot with the validation process

Blake Girardot bgirardot at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 15:28:24 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I just want to mention, that new mappers can really help with the
validation process by doing what they typically do: Map in roads and
buildings but into "Completed" task squares.

You do not need to mark a task square "Validated", but just reviewing
the completed squares and filling in missing things or fixing up
buildings that might not be mapped very well (squaring up the
rectangular buildings :) is immensely helpful.

I wrote a short OSM Diary entry that says basically the same thing:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/bgirardot/diary/36235

I just thought I would mention it because if you see projects on the
Tasking Manager that look "done" just know you can always help a bit
more by reviewing "Completed" task squares just to double check nothing
was missed even if you do not feel experienced enough to "Validate" a
task square.

This is especially true for projects where we have made a call for more
mappers on the email list or via twitter. Double and triple checks to
make sure the mapping in the instructions is actually complete really
helps in the process and gets the people on the ground the best data we
can possible generate for them.

Cheers,
Blake