[HOT] How newer mappers can help a lot with the validation process

Nick Allen nick.allen.54 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 19:31:29 UTC 2016

John,

I think we could do with more information on LearnOSM - the current
content is http://learnosm.org/en/coordination/review/ & a couple of
mentions in the Tasking Manager section.

I'm sure there is more information in other sources as well as the wiki
link http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Tasking_Manager/Validating_data

If you and a couple of other people could put a guide together & run it
by a few people (Training Working Group?), I'd be happy to take the
resulting document & format the text to place it on LearnOSM. Grab a few
screenshots as well - I'll do the formatting, but I don't have time to
actually write the text at the moment - I can cope with copy & paste &
then format the outcome.

Regards

Nick

On 11/02/16 18:29, Russell Deffner wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Validation is a ‘beast’ of a discussion that in my opinion has been
> addressed in two parts: teaching/training validators and technical
> changes in the Tasking Manager.  I for one completely support building
> a ‘white-list’ option (or otherwise the option to ‘appoint’
> validators) into the TM; however don’t want to ‘spam’ the list too
> much, so I think this is the ‘most current’ and on-point issue in
> github: https://github.com/hotosm/osm-tasking-manager2/issues/599
>
> However, on the training side of things; we have built a
> ‘higher-level’ type of course for validation here:
> http://courses.hotosm.org/ but it is specific to HOT Disaster Mapping;
> there has been talk about a module for ‘general’ validation on
> LearnOSM, and Nick or someone closer involved with the Training
> Working Group can probably tell you more about that.
>
> In either case, I think there is plenty of room for improvement.
>
> Cheers,
>
> =Russ

Nick

Volunteer 'Tallguy' for