[HOT] Subject: Re: how newer mappers can help a lot with the validation process

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 13:18:31 UTC 2016

My understanding of the thinking behind the African wiki was that it is not
possible to say what the importance of a highway from the width of the
highway in Africa so from an image we don't stand much chance of being too
precise.

I think the most we can hope for is to map the highways and expect the
locals some time to reclassify them.

In general when validating I may up an unclassified to a tertiary if it
connects many settlements and other highways and I may up a path to an
unclassified if it looks wide enough but otherwise I feel I'm out of my
area of expertise which is probably identifying zebar crossings on paths in
the middle of nowhere and deleting the tag.

Does that help?

Thanks John