[HOT] website down???

Tasauf A Baki Billah tasauf1980 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 13:23:27 UTC 2016


Hi,

We are having a mapping party at Dhaka and it seems we are having frequent
problem getting the data uploaded..
It seems the website is down for a while. Is it so or there's any other
problem???

Ribin
OSMBD
On Feb 17, 2016 6:14 PM, <hot-request at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

Send HOT mailing list submissions to
        hot at openstreetmap.org

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
        https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/hot
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
        hot-request at openstreetmap.org

You can reach the person managing the list at
        hot-owner at openstreetmap.org

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of HOT digest..."


Today's Topics:

   1. Re: Website down? (Jorieke Vyncke)
   2. Activation WG Meeting (Mhairi O'Hara)
   3. Re: Website down? (Russell Deffner)
   4. Missing Maps Event Calendar (Mike Thompson)
   5. Re: how newer mappers can help a lot with the validation
      process (john whelan)
   6. Re: Missing Maps Event Calendar (Katie Filbert)
   7. Re: Missing Maps Event Calendar (Blake Girardot)
   8. HOT Summit quick update (Mikel Maron)
   9. HOT Summit Quick Update (mikel.maron at hotosm.org)
  10. Re: Missing Maps Event Calendar (Mike Thompson)
  11. Re: how newer mappers can help a lot with the     validation
      process (Russell Deffner)
  12. Re: how newer mappers can help a lot with the validation
      process (john whelan)
  13. Re: how newer mappers can help a lot with the validation
      process (Russell Deffner)
  14. How to identify oneself when promoting a mapathon? (Mike Thompson)
  15. Re: How to identify oneself when promoting a mapathon?
      (Heather Leson)
  16. Re: How to identify oneself when promoting a mapathon?
      (Mike Thompson)
  17. Re: HOT in Research - Casual meetup (Heather Leson)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 12:01:55 +0000
From: Jorieke Vyncke <jorieke.vyncke at gmail.com>
To: Chris Fleming <me at chrisfleming.org>
Cc: "hot at openstreetmap.org" <hot at openstreetmap.org>
Subject: Re: [HOT] Website down?
Message-ID:
        <CAEO7yf7bVvjsGKLbpCNk8ytQZQtWPDt8h2y56WHVNx7B_RtSHg at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8

Thanks for your quick reactions!
Happy it's not a problem at my level ;-)
Hope it will be solved soon...

Greetings, Jorieke

2016-02-16 11:54 GMT, Chris Fleming <me at chrisfleming.org>:
> Looks like it's down to me, error message is:
>
> *PDOException*: SQLSTATE[HY000] [1129] Host 'hotwww.local' is blocked
> because of many connection errors; unblock with 'mysqladmin flush-hosts'
in
> *lock_may_be_available()* (line *167* of */var/www/includes/lock.inc*).
>
> Cheers
> Chris
>
> On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 at 11:49 Jorieke Vyncke <jorieke.vyncke at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Our website (https://hotosm.org/) is down?
>> Or is it just my connection doing difficult...
>>
>> Best, Jorieke
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> HOT mailing list
>> HOT at openstreetmap.org
>> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/hot
>>
>



------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 20:01:43 +0700
From: "Mhairi O'Hara" <mhairi.ohara at hotosm.org>
To: HOT <hot at openstreetmap.org>, Activation WG <activation at hotosm.org>
Subject: [HOT] Activation WG Meeting
Message-ID:
        <CAByqXH+tFyXCDr-uCnw260RDtu5OHoq585kwqCEPee79Q=W7eQ at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

Just a reminder that the Activation WG meeting is starting now (Tuesday
16th Feb 1300 UTC) if you would like to attend on IRC Chat:

https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.oftc.net/hot

Please find the agenda for the meeting on the Activation WG Trello board:

https://trello.com/b/ogU4Wjd6/hot-activation-wg

Kind regards,

Mhairi

--
Mhairi O'Hara
Mobile: +62 822 4701 1475
Email: mhairi.ohara at hotosm.org
twitter <https://twitter.com/mataharimhairi> | linkedin
<http://uk.linkedin.com/in/mhairiohara> | facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/hotosm> | website <http://hotosm.org/>

*Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team *
*Using OpenStreetMap for Humanitarian Response & Economic Development*
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/hot/attachments/20160216/90b89854/attachment-0001.html
>

------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 06:59:14 -0700
From: Russell Deffner <russell.deffner at hotosm.org>
To: "'Jorieke Vyncke'" <jorieke.vyncke at gmail.com>, "'Chris Fleming'"
        <me at chrisfleming.org>
Cc: Sys Admin <sysadmin at hotosm.org>, hot at openstreetmap.org
Subject: Re: [HOT] Website down?
Message-ID: <005701d168c2$38b9cd60$aa2d6820$@hotosm.org>
Content-Type: text/plain;       charset="UTF-8"

Looks like it's back up, just for future reference, I think it's
sysadmin at hotosm you want to ping for outages and such.
=Russ

-----Original Message-----
From: Jorieke Vyncke [mailto:jorieke.vyncke at gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 16, 2016 5:02 AM
To: Chris Fleming
Cc: hot at openstreetmap.org
Subject: Re: [HOT] Website down?

Thanks for your quick reactions!
Happy it's not a problem at my level ;-)
Hope it will be solved soon...

Greetings, Jorieke

2016-02-16 11:54 GMT, Chris Fleming <me at chrisfleming.org>:
> Looks like it's down to me, error message is:
>
> *PDOException*: SQLSTATE[HY000] [1129] Host 'hotwww.local' is blocked
> because of many connection errors; unblock with 'mysqladmin flush-hosts'
in
> *lock_may_be_available()* (line *167* of */var/www/includes/lock.inc*).
>
> Cheers
> Chris
>
> On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 at 11:49 Jorieke Vyncke <jorieke.vyncke at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Our website (https://hotosm.org/) is down?
>> Or is it just my connection doing difficult...
>>
>> Best, Jorieke
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> HOT mailing list
>> HOT at openstreetmap.org
>> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/hot
>>
>

_______________________________________________
HOT mailing list
HOT at openstreetmap.org
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/hot




------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 07:02:51 -0700
From: Mike Thompson <miketho16 at gmail.com>
To: HOT <hot at openstreetmap.org>
Subject: [HOT] Missing Maps Event Calendar
Message-ID:
        <CALJoUktjeOy1qrLF4QtJ4qsznhYKFhnxZLanbiBQMuyoXTYC2A at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

How do we get our event listed on this calendar:
http://www.missingmaps.org/#events

Information about the event is here:
http://www.meetup.com/OSM-Colorado/events/228614359/

Thanks,

Mike
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/hot/attachments/20160216/cab074fb/attachment-0001.html
>

------------------------------

Message: 5
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 09:18:46 -0500
From: john whelan <jwhelan0112 at gmail.com>
To: Daniel Specht <danspecht at gmail.com>
Cc: "hot at openstreetmap.org" <HOT at openstreetmap.org>
Subject: Re: [HOT] how newer mappers can help a lot with the
        validation      process
Message-ID:
        <CAJ-Ex1Em8bxbHRC4cPbF8U8kjfc7dkqtpHYBn0kcL08hDZ6D8A at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

So to clarify what you're saying is the project instructions should be much
more precise.  The project managers should ask for precisely what is needed
rather than we'd like everything since when we are imprecise different
mappers and validators interpret the instructions differently.  Also asking
for everything takes away resources from other projects.

So HOT activation group can you first inspect the instructions and then
confirm with the project managers to see if we can reduce the possibility
of different interpretations?  ie keep them as simple as possible.

Would it be an idea to go over the "abandoned" projects iethose that have
been around for more than a year and see if by reducing the requested
instructions we can at least get the highways and the major
landuse=residential areas in?

Cheerio John



On 12 February 2016 at 11:01, Daniel Specht <danspecht at gmail.com> wrote:

> > On 11 Feb 2016 15:49, "john whelan" <jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
> > <mailto:jwhelan0112 at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> > In there somewhere in a wiki or some such where we can document
> > validation, what works and why and what to look for?  Perhaps put down
> > some sort of service level agreement ie after validation we are only
> > looking for what is requested in the instructions and for a JOSM
> > validotian to be run.  We expect 97% of settlements to be mapped type
> > thing? That way people who wish to validate have something to feel
> > confident about.
> >
> > We need to get more people into validation.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Cheerio John
>
> John's right -- we need more people validating, and we can accomplish that
> by explaining how to validate in the instructions, just as we explain how
> to map in the instructions. The instructions should have two parts  --
>  what the customer wants, and what the customer needs. Currently the
> instructions only describe what the customer wants. What the customer
> needs, the (generally unstated) validation requirements, are at least as
> important as the instructions themselves, and they won't be the same for
> all projects any more than the instructions will.
>
> --
> Dan
>
> _______________________________________________
> HOT mailing list
> HOT at openstreetmap.org
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/hot
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/hot/attachments/20160216/4dd4286b/attachment-0001.html
>

------------------------------

Message: 6
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 15:24:27 +0100
From: Katie Filbert <filbertk at gmail.com>
To: Mike Thompson <miketho16 at gmail.com>
Cc: HOT <hot at openstreetmap.org>
Subject: Re: [HOT] Missing Maps Event Calendar
Message-ID:
        <CAE4hJ8e2srEPM=7npO8hRpi9b1zp1y=N8wn5Bv_L1Hh2Ov=evg at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

Here:

https://github.com/MissingMaps/missingmaps.github.io/pull/69

Cheers,
Katie

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 3:02 PM, Mike Thompson <miketho16 at gmail.com> wrote:

> How do we get our event listed on this calendar:
> http://www.missingmaps.org/#events
>
> Information about the event is here:
> http://www.meetup.com/OSM-Colorado/events/228614359/
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike
>
> _______________________________________________
> HOT mailing list
> HOT at openstreetmap.org
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/hot
>
>


--
Katie Filbert
filbertk at gmail.com
@filbertkm / @wikidata
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/hot/attachments/20160216/55588ba7/attachment-0001.html
>

------------------------------

Message: 7
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 15:37:16 +0100
From: Blake Girardot <bgirardot at gmail.com>
To: Katie Filbert <filbertk at gmail.com>, Mike Thompson
        <miketho16 at gmail.com>
Cc: HOT <hot at openstreetmap.org>
Subject: Re: [HOT] Missing Maps Event Calendar
Message-ID: <56C3341C.4080105 at gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed


Hi Mike,

This form is the best/easiest way to get on the list on the main Missing
Maps website:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/174ZAAaqtRkJtyY2657RVAMbnvs8IzujWAShZy3y3_FY/viewform

Cheers,
Blake

On 2/16/2016 3:24 PM, Katie Filbert wrote:
> Here:
>
> https://github.com/MissingMaps/missingmaps.github.io/pull/69
>
> Cheers,
> Katie
>
> On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 3:02 PM, Mike Thompson <miketho16 at gmail.com
> <mailto:miketho16 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     How do we get our event listed on this calendar:
>     http://www.missingmaps.org/#events
>
>     Information about the event is here:
>     http://www.meetup.com/OSM-Colorado/events/228614359/
>
>     Thanks,
>
>     Mike
>
>     _______________________________________________
>     HOT mailing list
>     HOT at openstreetmap.org <mailto:HOT at openstreetmap.org>
>     https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/hot
>
>
>
>
> --
> Katie Filbert
> filbertk at gmail.com <mailto:filbertk at gmail.com>
> @filbertkm / @wikidata
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> HOT mailing list
> HOT at openstreetmap.org
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/hot
>



------------------------------

Message: 8
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 15:18:20 +0000 (UTC)
From: Mikel Maron <mikel.maron at gmail.com>
To: "hot at openstreetmap.org" <hot at openstreetmap.org>
Subject: [HOT] HOT Summit quick update
Message-ID:
        <8907945.5158061.1455635900515.JavaMail.yahoo at mail.yahoo.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

We had a great rapid kick off meeting today for organizing HOT Summit 2016.
Here's a few rough notes of our discussion so far.
Talked about locations and format. Leading idea is something connected to
SotM in Brussels. Another possibility is an additional event connected to
ICCM in Manila. Want to connect with as much of the global HOT community as
possible. Length in mind 1-2 days. Audience would be both established HOT
community, and expansion to new folks -- volunteers, humanitarian orgs and
NGOs, funders. Approximately 100-150 attendees. Scholarships could be
really valuable, but takes fundraising and prioritization.
We ended with a quick set of actions -- setting up a first website, look at
logo and design, draft a concept note, and start researching venues -- and
organized ourselves on Trello.
Next meeting, possible next week or the week after --- we'll assess over
email. If you'd like to get involved, send me a note, and we can add you to
the group. -Mikel * Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/hot/attachments/20160216/fe125416/attachment-0001.html
>

------------------------------

Message: 9
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 15:17:01 +0000 (UTC)
From: <mikel.maron at hotosm.org>
To: "hot at openstreetmap.org" <hot at openstreetmap.org>
Subject: [HOT] HOT Summit Quick Update
Message-ID:
        <1897870843.5003790.1455635821254.JavaMail.yahoo at mail.yahoo.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

We had a great rapid kick off meeting today for organizing HOT Summit 2016.
Here's a few rough notes of our discussion so far.
Talked about locations and format. Leading idea is something connected to
SotM in Brussels. Another possibility is an additional event connected to
ICCM in Manila. Want to connect with as much of the global HOT community as
possible. Length in mind 1-2 days. Audience would be both established HOT
community, and expansion to new folks -- volunteers, humanitarian orgs and
NGOs, funders. Approximately 100-150 attendees. Scholarships could be
really valuable, but takes fundraising and prioritization.
We ended with a quick set of actions -- setting up a first website, look at
logo and design, draft a concept note, and start researching venues -- and
organized ourselves on Trello.
Next meeting, possible next week or the week after --- we'll assess over
email. If you'd like to get involved, send me a note, and we can add you to
the group. -Mikel
* Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/hot/attachments/20160216/b4dd79dd/attachment-0001.html
>

------------------------------

Message: 10
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 08:56:56 -0700
From: Mike Thompson <miketho16 at gmail.com>
To: Blake Girardot <bgirardot at gmail.com>
Cc: HOT <hot at openstreetmap.org>
Subject: Re: [HOT] Missing Maps Event Calendar
Message-ID:
        <CALJoUkto6Vtg2u+bvNFwj91FdsvzgSN2HkYC1jbd5nLkb=Nk0g at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

Blake, Katie,

Thanks!  I used the form Blake provided and now our event is listed!

Mike

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 7:37 AM, Blake Girardot <bgirardot at gmail.com> wrote:

>
> Hi Mike,
>
> This form is the best/easiest way to get on the list on the main Missing
> Maps website:
>
>
>
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/174ZAAaqtRkJtyY2657RVAMbnvs8IzujWAShZy3y3_FY/viewform
>
> Cheers,
> Blake
>
> On 2/16/2016 3:24 PM, Katie Filbert wrote:
>
>> Here:
>>
>> https://github.com/MissingMaps/missingmaps.github.io/pull/69
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Katie
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 3:02 PM, Mike Thompson <miketho16 at gmail.com
>> <mailto:miketho16 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     How do we get our event listed on this calendar:
>>     http://www.missingmaps.org/#events
>>
>>     Information about the event is here:
>>     http://www.meetup.com/OSM-Colorado/events/228614359/
>>
>>     Thanks,
>>
>>     Mike
>>
>>     _______________________________________________
>>     HOT mailing list
>>     HOT at openstreetmap.org <mailto:HOT at openstreetmap.org>
>>     https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/hot
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Katie Filbert
>> filbertk at gmail.com <mailto:filbertk at gmail.com>
>> @filbertkm / @wikidata
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> HOT mailing list
>> HOT at openstreetmap.org
>> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/hot
>>
>>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/hot/attachments/20160216/9060926b/attachment-0001.html
>

------------------------------

Message: 11
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 11:11:55 -0700
From: Russell Deffner <russell.deffner at hotosm.org>
To: "'john whelan'" <jwhelan0112 at gmail.com>, "'Daniel Specht'"
        <danspecht at gmail.com>
Cc: "'hot at openstreetmap.org'" <HOT at openstreetmap.org>
Subject: Re: [HOT] how newer mappers can help a lot with the
        validation      process
Message-ID: <000601d168e5$85469550$8fd3bff0$@hotosm.org>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

Hi John,



It feels a bit odd to try and reply ‘on behalf of the AWG’ to…

So HOT activation group can you first inspect the instructions and then
confirm with the project managers to see if we can reduce the possibility
of different interpretations?  ie keep them as simple as possible.

But I think what you’re trying to address is a bit of a
training/communication thing; each Project is created by an individual
account that has permission/privilege on whatever instance of the Tasking
Manager the project is created on. The main HOT instance for example has
somewhere around 100 people/accounts that can create projects there. In
order to try and get ‘better instructions’ we have set-up a mailing list
for everyone to communicate (tm-project-managers@) and ideally we’ll get
some great training via courses@ and LearnOSM.  In other words, we really
do need to create some ‘best practices’ for making the most efficient
projects for the desired result, but some of that needs to be HOT/Disaster
specific and some should be more broad to help those running other
instances of the Tasking Manager – such as TeachOSM.



Anyway, great discussion – just trying to direct some action – it is on the
Activation WG Trello to ‘further utilize’ the tm mailing list, training,
etc.



=Russ



From: john whelan [mailto:jwhelan0112 at gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 16, 2016 7:19 AM
To: Daniel Specht
Cc: hot at openstreetmap.org
Subject: Re: [HOT] how newer mappers can help a lot with the validation
process



So to clarify what you're saying is the project instructions should be much
more precise.  The project managers should ask for precisely what is needed
rather than we'd like everything since when we are imprecise different
mappers and validators interpret the instructions differently.  Also asking
for everything takes away resources from other projects.

So HOT activation group can you first inspect the instructions and then
confirm with the project managers to see if we can reduce the possibility
of different interpretations?  ie keep them as simple as possible.

Would it be an idea to go over the "abandoned" projects iethose that have
been around for more than a year and see if by reducing the requested
instructions we can at least get the highways and the major
landuse=residential areas in?

Cheerio John

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/hot/attachments/20160216/e296a5fc/attachment-0001.html
>

------------------------------

Message: 12
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 15:34:33 -0500
From: john whelan <jwhelan0112 at gmail.com>
To: Russell Deffner <russell.deffner at hotosm.org>
Cc: Daniel Specht <danspecht at gmail.com>, "hot at openstreetmap.org"
        <HOT at openstreetmap.org>
Subject: Re: [HOT] how newer mappers can help a lot with the
        validation      process
Message-ID:
        <CAJ-Ex1GY96yp=vKWfXvZKYD=yM-2zRMBKw4rGnHY+5_GeH5e=A at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

I think the classic that Daniel identified is map all roads.  Does it mean
highway=unclassified and above, everything including tracks?  Adding tracks
in can double the amount of effort.

Perhaps if we had some sort of validation of the project instructions
before the tile is released?

I think best practises covers it nicely.  Perhaps in the training mention
that projects with simple clear instructions have a better completion rate
than more muzzy ones?

Cheerio John

On 16 February 2016 at 13:11, Russell Deffner <russell.deffner at hotosm.org>
wrote:

> Hi John,
>
>
>
> It feels a bit odd to try and reply ‘on behalf of the AWG’ to…
>
> So HOT activation group can you first inspect the instructions and then
> confirm with the project managers to see if we can reduce the possibility
> of different interpretations?  ie keep them as simple as possible.
>
> But I think what you’re trying to address is a bit of a
> training/communication thing; each Project is created by an individual
> account that has permission/privilege on whatever instance of the Tasking
> Manager the project is created on. The main HOT instance for example has
> somewhere around 100 people/accounts that can create projects there. In
> order to try and get ‘better instructions’ we have set-up a mailing list
> for everyone to communicate (tm-project-managers@) and ideally we’ll get
> some great training via courses@ and LearnOSM.  In other words, we really
> do need to create some ‘best practices’ for making the most efficient
> projects for the desired result, but some of that needs to be HOT/Disaster
> specific and some should be more broad to help those running other
> instances of the Tasking Manager – such as TeachOSM.
>
>
>
> Anyway, great discussion – just trying to direct some action – it is on
> the Activation WG Trello to ‘further utilize’ the tm mailing list,
> training, etc.
>
>
>
> =Russ
>
>
>
> *From:* john whelan [mailto:jwhelan0112 at gmail.com]
> *Sent:* Tuesday, February 16, 2016 7:19 AM
> *To:* Daniel Specht
> *Cc:* hot at openstreetmap.org
> *Subject:* Re: [HOT] how newer mappers can help a lot with the validation
> process
>
>
>
> So to clarify what you're saying is the project instructions should be
> much more precise.  The project managers should ask for precisely what is
> needed rather than we'd like everything since when we are imprecise
> different mappers and validators interpret the instructions differently.
> Also asking for everything takes away resources from other projects.
>
> So HOT activation group can you first inspect the instructions and then
> confirm with the project managers to see if we can reduce the possibility
> of different interpretations?  ie keep them as simple as possible.
>
> Would it be an idea to go over the "abandoned" projects iethose that have
> been around for more than a year and see if by reducing the requested
> instructions we can at least get the highways and the major
> landuse=residential areas in?
>
> Cheerio John
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/hot/attachments/20160216/51823b1a/attachment-0001.html
>

------------------------------

Message: 13
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 13:44:00 -0700
From: Russell Deffner <russell.deffner at hotosm.org>
To: "'john whelan'" <jwhelan0112 at gmail.com>
Cc: 'Daniel Specht' <danspecht at gmail.com>, "'hot at openstreetmap.org'"
        <HOT at openstreetmap.org>
Subject: Re: [HOT] how newer mappers can help a lot with the
        validation      process
Message-ID: <002001d168fa$c42ed010$4c8c7030$@hotosm.org>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

Ok, also on the ‘front-page’ of the Tasking Manager where you see the
‘brief’ of the project, you can find out who the specific Project
Manager/creator is and maybe get clarification or ask them to specify in
the instructions.

=Russ



From: john whelan [mailto:jwhelan0112 at gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 16, 2016 1:35 PM
To: Russell Deffner
Cc: Daniel Specht; hot at openstreetmap.org
Subject: Re: [HOT] how newer mappers can help a lot with the validation
process



I think the classic that Daniel identified is map all roads.  Does it mean
highway=unclassified and above, everything including tracks?  Adding tracks
in can double the amount of effort.

Perhaps if we had some sort of validation of the project instructions
before the tile is released?

I think best practises covers it nicely.  Perhaps in the training mention
that projects with simple clear instructions have a better completion rate
than more muzzy ones?

Cheerio John



On 16 February 2016 at 13:11, Russell Deffner <russell.deffner at hotosm.org>
wrote:

Hi John,



It feels a bit odd to try and reply ‘on behalf of the AWG’ to…

So HOT activation group can you first inspect the instructions and then
confirm with the project managers to see if we can reduce the possibility
of different interpretations?  ie keep them as simple as possible.

But I think what you’re trying to address is a bit of a
training/communication thing; each Project is created by an individual
account that has permission/privilege on whatever instance of the Tasking
Manager the project is created on. The main HOT instance for example has
somewhere around 100 people/accounts that can create projects there. In
order to try and get ‘better instructions’ we have set-up a mailing list
for everyone to communicate (tm-project-managers@) and ideally we’ll get
some great training via courses@ and LearnOSM.  In other words, we really
do need to create some ‘best practices’ for making the most efficient
projects for the desired result, but some of that needs to be HOT/Disaster
specific and some should be more broad to help those running other
instances of the Tasking Manager – such as TeachOSM.



Anyway, great discussion – just trying to direct some action – it is on the
Activation WG Trello to ‘further utilize’ the tm mailing list, training,
etc.



=Russ



From: john whelan [mailto:jwhelan0112 at gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 16, 2016 7:19 AM
To: Daniel Specht
Cc: hot at openstreetmap.org
Subject: Re: [HOT] how newer mappers can help a lot with the validation
process



So to clarify what you're saying is the project instructions should be much
more precise.  The project managers should ask for precisely what is needed
rather than we'd like everything since when we are imprecise different
mappers and validators interpret the instructions differently.  Also asking
for everything takes away resources from other projects.

So HOT activation group can you first inspect the instructions and then
confirm with the project managers to see if we can reduce the possibility
of different interpretations?  ie keep them as simple as possible.

Would it be an idea to go over the "abandoned" projects iethose that have
been around for more than a year and see if by reducing the requested
instructions we can at least get the highways and the major
landuse=residential areas in?

Cheerio John



-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/hot/attachments/20160216/500f55b6/attachment-0001.html
>

------------------------------

Message: 14
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 21:08:31 -0700
From: Mike Thompson <miketho16 at gmail.com>
To: HOT <hot at openstreetmap.org>
Subject: [HOT] How to identify oneself when promoting a mapathon?
Message-ID:
        <CALJoUktwkWH0bxFYWfk8USsO5EoNwipHWG+4Tg0=WZ94dBJwog at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

A local radio station has agreed to interview me and my co-organizer about
our upcoming mapathon and the University of Northern Colorado (US). They
will probably want to introduce me in a manner similar to "Next up is Mike
with <insert organization name>".  Is it permissible to say "...a volunteer
with the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team" even though I am not formally a
member of HOT? How about "... a volunteer with the Missing Maps Project"?

Mike
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/hot/attachments/20160216/77a6afe2/attachment-0001.html
>

------------------------------

Message: 15
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 07:22:14 +0300
From: Heather Leson <heatherleson at gmail.com>
To: Mike Thompson <miketho16 at gmail.com>
Cc: "HOT at OSM \(Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team\)"
        <hot at openstreetmap.org>
Subject: Re: [HOT] How to identify oneself when promoting a mapathon?
Message-ID:
        <CAHjf0T+8-2TxtUfYbru2+++6cNPEWrRKcAkumehg+UVCRfJs2w at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

Hey Mike, you are with Hot as a community volunteer. Thanks for leading!

Heather
On 17 Feb 2016 07:10, "Mike Thompson" <miketho16 at gmail.com> wrote:

> A local radio station has agreed to interview me and my co-organizer about
> our upcoming mapathon and the University of Northern Colorado (US). They
> will probably want to introduce me in a manner similar to "Next up is Mike
> with <insert organization name>".  Is it permissible to say "...a
volunteer
> with the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team" even though I am not formally a
> member of HOT? How about "... a volunteer with the Missing Maps Project"?
>
> Mike
>
> _______________________________________________
> HOT mailing list
> HOT at openstreetmap.org
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/hot
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/hot/attachments/20160217/f99dab7b/attachment-0001.html
>

------------------------------

Message: 16
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 21:24:27 -0700
From: Mike Thompson <miketho16 at gmail.com>
To: Heather Leson <heatherleson at gmail.com>
Cc: "HOT at OSM \(Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team\)"
        <hot at openstreetmap.org>
Subject: Re: [HOT] How to identify oneself when promoting a mapathon?
Message-ID:
        <CALJoUksx93BuzLpqe1YDWhpPy8VWUj0ef1yW0aMwjHXkg_ipDA at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

Thanks Heather!

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 9:22 PM, Heather Leson <heatherleson at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hey Mike, you are with Hot as a community volunteer. Thanks for leading!
>
> Heather
> On 17 Feb 2016 07:10, "Mike Thompson" <miketho16 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> A local radio station has agreed to interview me and my co-organizer
>> about our upcoming mapathon and the University of Northern Colorado (US).
>> They will probably want to introduce me in a manner similar to "Next up
is
>> Mike with <insert organization name>".  Is it permissible to say "...a
>> volunteer with the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team" even though I am not
>> formally a member of HOT? How about "... a volunteer with the Missing
Maps
>> Project"?
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> HOT mailing list
>> HOT at openstreetmap.org
>> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/hot
>>
>>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/hot/attachments/20160216/b3c2f869/attachment-0001.html
>

------------------------------

Message: 17
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 09:08:08 +0300
From: Heather Leson <heatherleson at gmail.com>
To: Martin Dittus <martin at dekstop.de>
Cc: "HOT at OSM \(Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team\)"
        <hot at openstreetmap.org>
Subject: Re: [HOT] HOT in Research - Casual meetup
Message-ID:
        <CAHjf0TJuv8X8mWBobHC0HKk6PSuHCWkvtUqiwceHzdRf2rLwZw at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

Thanks everyone.

The HOT Casual Research mumble chat will be on:

Wednesday, March 2nd, 2016
Timezones: 15:00 UTC/18:00 AST/10:00 EST/07:00 PST/

Duration: 1 hour


How to join:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mumble

Agenda:
Review the Academic Partnership Guide
Review Research Topics
Coordinate HOT Research Scramble (collect the existing research)
Consider future recommendations
Thanks

Heather


Heather Leson
heatherleson at gmail.com
Twitter: HeatherLeson
Blog: textontechs.com

On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 10:19 PM, Martin Dittus <martin at dekstop.de> wrote:

> Was just thinking it would be nice to get people closer together!
>
> Unfortunately that week coincides with CSCW in SF where I’ll present my
> first HOT paper :)
> http://www0.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/l.capra/publications/cscw2016.pdf (that's
> work from last summer)
>
> But considering how hard scheduling always is I’ll simply try my best to
> participate from there.
>
> m.
>
>
> > On 11 Feb 2016, at 16:26, Heather Leson <heatherleson at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > HI folks,
> >
> > There are a few of us keen to see more research on HOT. Last year Robert
> Soden spearheaded a discussion at the HOT Summit. The results were tracked
> on two wiki pages:
> >
> > HOT Research Topics
> > https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/HOT_Research_Topics
> >
> >
> > HOT Academic Partnerships
> > https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/HOT_Academic_Partnerships
> >
> > We'd like to meet others keen to talk about research. Add your times by
> Wednesday, February 17th and we'll firm up a time for the 1st week in
March.
> >
> > Times listed in UTC/GMT
> > http://doodle.com/poll/ct335p8d32zkp37i
> >
> > Call can be on mumble.
> >
> > Once we have a time, we'll create a shared doc space for tracking.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Robert and Heather
> >
> >
> > Heather Leson
> > heatherleson at gmail.com
> > Twitter: HeatherLeson
> > Blog: textontechs.com
> > _______________________________________________
> > HOT mailing list
> > HOT at openstreetmap.org
> > https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/hot
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/hot/attachments/20160217/de894c00/attachment-0001.html
>

------------------------------

Subject: Digest Footer

_______________________________________________
HOT mailing list
HOT at openstreetmap.org
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/hot


------------------------------

End of HOT Digest, Vol 72, Issue 18
***********************************
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/hot/attachments/20160217/9db6beb3/attachment.html>


More information about the HOT mailing list