[HOT] [OSM-talk] Names for Fiji

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 09:16:28 UTC 2016

> > are these names English or fiji or hindi?
> >
> > cheers
> > Martin
> >

> They are "name" found in reports from Fijian officials or medias - that
> apparently use English, an official language in Fiji (I haven't seen
> Fijian news reports in other languages - yet) - and often found in the
> "name" tag in OSM in Fiji. And in 1944 US topo maps for "old_name".

I find it problematic to make remote edits based on foreign maps and add
names in a foreign language as main names, although because of colonization
this foreign language is apparently used as lingua franca. I see this as
kind of ungoing colonization, where I'd actually expect people use names in
their first language to refer to the places they live. From a quick
internet search it appears that English isn't the first language for a vast
majority of people living in Fiji. My suggestion is to use the tags name:en
and old_name:en for names and old names in English.

Cheers,
Martin