[HOT] Crowd2Map rural Tanzania

Paul Uithol paul.uithol at hotosm.org
Sun Feb 28 20:55:49 UTC 2016

Hi Janet,

> We’re getting people in rural Tanzania to map data about their
> communities using EpicollectPlus.  Please can anyone advise:
>
> 1. if there is any way to tell up to date the Bing satellite images
> are and how often they are updated as some of the points we are trying
> to add weren’t built in the satellite images.

See http://mvexel.dev.openstreetmap.org/bing/ - please do be aware the
dates can differ per zoom level, so do try to zoom in on the areas
you're after.

> 2.Are there any recommended apps to use OSM on android

For what use case indeed? For navigation, Maps.me and OSMAnd are great
choices indeed - for mapping, you could take a look at OSMTracker
(funcions somewhat like a regular GPS, and results in GPX tracks), or
OpenMapKit (an add-on to OpenDataCollect; combination of survey
questions and adding/updating features on top of an actual maps layer;
results in .osm files). We're using the first in conjunction with
fieldpapers in Dar es Salaam, and are using OpenMapKit in Uganda.

> 3.What the best way of publicising the project to people in rural
> Tanzania is – currently we have
> https://www.facebook.com/groups/1551808625147532/ and @crowd2map

That would depend on the area you're looking at. There is a chance some
of our students that (have) work(ed) on Ramani Huria could be from one
of these areas. Perhaps Mark has contacts at more universities/colleges
in these areas?

> 4.If anyone is aware of any other data sets we could incorporate –
> thanks Mark Iliffe for links to water points and health facilities

It does look like the import of MSD roads data is still in progress if
you're interested in more roads data - see
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Tanzania/Tanzania_MSD_%26_JSI_road_import,
http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/1256

> 5.We’re having a hack day on May 7^th in London, Dar es Salaam – and
> remotely – so if anyone wants to be involved that would be great!

Where in Dar would that be?

best,
Paul

> Many thanks
>
> Janet
>
> From*://Janet Chapman ( Campaigns Manager and Project Officer)*
>
> Address: *44**Mildenhall Road LONDON E5 0RU, UK*
>
> Mobile/SMS/WhatsApp: *0447815 053 779*
>
> Skype :*jachapman82*
>
> Email: *j.chapman at tanzdevtrust.org <mailto:j.chapman at tanzdevtrust.org>*
>
> LinkedIn *uk.linkedin.com/in/janetchapman*
>
> Blog:***http://hiaragirlpower.blogspot.co.uk/ *
>
> The Tanzania Development Trust is UK Registered Charity No 270462
>
> *www.tanzdevtrust.org <http://www.tanzdevtrust.org/>*

Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
Project Manager "Ramani Huria" (Dar es Salaam) & "Mapping Financial Services" (Uganda)