[HOT] Fwd: Accuracy ( international women's day)

Geoffrey Kateregga kateregga1 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 29 23:05:42 UTC 2016

Hi Trudy,

Thanks for the work done so far in building an OSM community in Zambia,
I can also share with you my experience in using OSMTracker, GPS units and
field papers from our mapping under "Ramani Huria" in Dar es Salaam.

The accuracy of OSMTracker improves when you have an internet connection
and it can go as high as 3m or less, it is necessary to check the level of
accuracy when picking a way point. What usually helps is when you import
the track and waypoints into JOSM, then you can place the nodes more
accurately by looking at the imagery.

Using Fieldpapers with Bing imagery may not be very helpful in informal
settlements where the houses are very close to each other, locating where
you are on the fieldpaper when in the field maybe challenging. If you can
afford it, acquiring several Garmin etrex 20 or 30 GPS units will prove
useful.

Regards,

Geoffrey.