[HOT] African Roads on Satelite

Paul Uithol paul.uithol at hotosm.org
Thu Jan 21 09:58:57 UTC 2016

Hi,

Let me see if I can find a couple of good examples (combination of
aerial/ground location) from the region where we're currently running a
ground survey (eastern Uganda). Not seen anything like the motorway -
the example looks pretty European.

When in doubt, I usually tell our mappers to use `highway=unclassified`
if it looks wide enough to allow regular traffic to pass (hopefully
cars, at the very least motorbikes), and isn't a dead end.

best,
Paul

On 21-01-2016 12:46, Hakuch wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 21.01.2016 02:38, Pierre BĂ©land wrote:
>> what this Highway Tag Africa wiki page says is that you classify a road related to its importance.
> yes I got this point from the Wiki. Its just, when you are doing HOT
> mapping, you normally have just a satellite image. So on the ground
> photos of streets are helpful to get an impression of the situation on
> the ground, but it might also be much more helpful to see examples of
> satellite images.
>
> I know, the classification does not only depend from the road condition
> that I will see on the image. But it could help for some situations. The
> Link to the Bing Satellite picture was very helpful for example.

Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
Project Manager "Ramani Huria" (Dar es Salaam) & "Mapping Financial Services" (Uganda)

Email: paul.uithol at hotosm.org
Skype: paul.uithol
NL:  +31 6 2423 7614
TZ: +255 7 8546 2836