[HOT] Uganda Bureau Of Statistics Educational Facilities import has started

Rafael Avila Coya ravilacoya at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 19:39:59 UTC 2016

Hi, Jo:

Thanks for your comments and help. Find my comments inline:

On 22/01/16 08:34, Jo wrote:
> Hi Rafael,
>
> Great that you got this started. Of course I managed to get the use
> of import and not import account mixed up, as JOSM doesn't warn me
> or give the option to switch in a convenient way. So the imported
> node will probably have to be removed once again and the buildings
> I added in a second go, are now uploaded with that silly import
> account.

Don't worry. I have reverted that "one node" changeset, and added
again the school node with my edvac_import account.

Apart from using your regular account, you uploaded the school without
the import changesets: source=www.ubos.org (you put source=Bing),
source:date=2010..2014, import=yes and
url=https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Uganda/Import_Uganda_Bureau_Of_Statistics_Education_Facilities

This has happened to other users in the past, so don't worry. Just
remember to upload only school nodes (nothing else) with your
Polyglot_import account, adding those changeset tags, and don't forget
to switch back to your Polyglot regular account, so you don't use your
import account for this import.

Having to use a dedicated user account for every import is a
requirement of the Import guidelines [1]: step 6.5: "You must use a
dedicated user account."

I think this requirement should be waived for crowsourced manual
imports like this, but that is not something we should discuss here,
but in the imports list. For the time being we have to comply with the
community agreements we have in the import guidelines.

This import is ***ONLY*** for school nodes. So we aren't adding
buildings at this stage. But even if we wanted to add buildings,
access road, etc, we would have done it in a different changeset, and
with the ***regular account***, not the ***import account***, because
buildings and road accesses aren't UBOS data, but derived directly
from Bing, Mapbox, GPS traces, etc.

If you can't live without adding school buildings, just make sure you
do it in a second changeset after uploading the schools, but using
your regular account.

> Sorry for the rant, what follows should be more interesting:
>
> Anyway, what I'm missing are the isced tags. Also the process
> seems overly complicated to me. It's easier to skip the "Edit with
> JOSM' button and go straight to the first "here" link. Then
> download manually.

As this import doesn't need to touch any OSM object, except
educational facilities already present in OSM that may have to be
merged with the UBOS ones, you can optionally, if you find it better,
to download OSM data manually after downloading the UBOS data. Only
make sure you download an area of at least 500+ m around every UBOS
node, so you make sure you download every OSM educational facilities
that may have to be merged with UBOS nodes.

I didn't add the isced:level tags as it would be difficult to add them
authomatically with the info we had. But we can add them in subsequent
TM projects, like also the wikidata, etc.

> To find the new buildings, the filter method works, but Ctrl-f
>
> inview new Then tick the box:: 'add toolbar button'
>
> is a lot more convenient, with a shiny new button on the task bar.
>
> You can also create another button like this with:
>
> inview (school | university | kindergarten)
>
> if you add "-new" to that, you can easily find all the existing
> ones.

This is very nice. As soon as I can (hope before the end of tomorrow),
I will add it to the workflow wiki. It's a great idea!!

> Oh, for people mapping remotely, there is a local community in
> Kampala. It's best to leave those schools for them, since they have
> local knowledge about them and since it's harder to figure out
> which buildings belong to the school for those from aerial imagery
> alone. I think that's worthy of a note in the instructions.

Yes! That's right! If the local Uganda OSM community tell me so, we
could even remove all Kampala nodes, and transfer them to another
dedicated TM project, dedicated only for on the ground mappers.

> Kind regards,
>
> Jo

Cheers and thank you very much!

Rafael.