[HOT] Border Crossing West Africa

Michael Heißmeier michael63 at digital-filestore.de
Sat Jan 23 10:50:02 UTC 2016

Hi Dale,

Dale Kunce schrieb 2016-01-23 03:17:
> The Red Cross is continuing our work on mapping the border areas of the Ebola
> affected countries in West Africa. Today something that came up is how exactly
> to tag border crossings. These are vital for humanitarian and epidemiology.
> There is a barrier=border_control
> <https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/barrier=border_control#map> tag but
> from my reading of the wiki
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:barrier%3Dborder_control> it doesn't
> apply to places where there is no fence. Often the borders in West Africa are
> a river ferry with an office set back some distance away.
>
> I wanted to see people thoughts about the best way forward to track these
> features while still working within OSM conventions.

I interpret the wiki so that the tag refers to the checkpoint on a way which
crosses a border. I do not see that it has to be part of a border line. In
practice most checkpoints will not be on the border line proper but rather
inside a country's territory. So I would apply the tag on the position of the
way where the control takes places, typically one location on either side of the
border.

/Michael
(osm:michael63) /