[HOT] Looking for inspiration building covering multiple buildings

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 12:28:12 UTC 2016

>Good question. I can answer how I found resources but I don't think I'm
the typical case.

Well perhaps you are.  People who take the time to search out the
information in general retain it better.

Working on the premise that prevention is usually cheaper than the cure.

I think we have to start with what are the requirements.

Most end users like the idea of reliability so to them data quality
matters.  To most of the NGOs small tracks leading to fields are not
important but paths / roads leading to a village however small are but we
don’t tell the new mappers that.  A feedback video from someone who uses
the maps in the field would be helpful for a framework.

Given the uneven quality of our mappers I think the best we can hope for on
highways is there is one there.  The tertiary and above almost certainly
will get tagged or retagged locally if we get it wrong, and if the mapper
is good enough to follow the local guidelines that is a bonus.

For new mappers the quality of the image is very important.  To learn good
quality images are much better than washed out ones or ones with low
contrast between huts and vegetation.  For new people running a maperthon
perhaps we need some prepacked maperthon projects?

Small mini projects so doable, small tiles so edits don’t get lost and
mappers get a sense of achievement when they complete a tile. Simple tasks,
map buildings when the new iD building tool is available, draw in highways
between settlements.  I’d go so far as to suggest a relevant video that
showed a completed tile to show what is required.  Then how to map the
individual tasks within the tile and a video showing how to map a highway
in the UK isn’t that helpful when looking at African villages.  The videos
can be .mp4 format so fit on a USB stick to save Internet bandwidth, a
laptop with a hot spot can be used to wiki broadcast them to the new
mappers.

Cheerio John