[HOT] Launching MapSwipe

Pete Masters pedrito1414 at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 13 13:57:01 UTC 2016

Hi all, how are you?

You might have heard mention of a new tool we are planning to launch on
Friday called MapSwipe. It's a Missing Maps initiative, developed by MSF,
designed to support OSM / HOT mapping. The idea is that people swipe
through imagery on their phones and identify areas with specified features
(roads, buildings, etc). The resulting data can then be plugged into the
tasking manager, meaning mappers have less empty bush, jungle, desert to
scan through, meaning we can all get on with mapping a bit quicker.

This is a first instance funded by MSF, so we will start off with Missing
Maps tasks in there, but we hope to soon open it up to others. The code is
also all on github.

The app will be available on Friday, but there is a landing page already
ready [1 <http://mapswipe.org/>] and I also did an interview on the BBC
world service show, Click, last night [2
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p040g4qr>] in case you want to have a
listen.

When it comes to the launch on Friday, we would love your support in
getting the word out. The possibilities of using this kind of tool at scale
are fascinating and your help amplifying the message would be superb.

If you have any questions, just give me a shout!

Cheers,

Pete

[1] http://mapswipe.org/
[2] http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p040g4qr